Recipe Khachapuri

AgileMJOLNIR

Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
8:10 AM
Khachapuri is a Georgian cheese bread and it absolutely delicious. I got introduced to this several years ago when I took a trip to Russia. This is a meal on it’s own but also goes great with a salad or soup.

I’m at work at can’t get my own recipe up but the one I pasted below is very close and should yield amazing results:)

45F3E598-2AD7-4F5A-BAF4-2876AA4ECEF0.jpeg

09D5FC8E-C9A0-46F3-9E15-C4C1A2B5353E.jpeg

EC04F56B-D02B-457C-AFF1-D5198B09046F.jpeg

Ingredients​

Dough
  • 3 tablespoons (43g) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup (227g) milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar or 1 tablespoon non-diastatic malt powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons (9g) salt
  • 2 teaspoons instant yeast or active dry yeast
  • 2 3/4 cups (330g) Unbleached Bread Flour
Filling
  • 2 cups (227g) mozzarella cheese or Muenster cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup (113g) ricotta cheese (farmers cheese)
  • 1/2 cup (57g) crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons (14g) Unbleached Bread Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
Egg wash
  • 1 large egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
Garnish
  • 4 large eggs, cold from the refrigerator
  • 4 teaspoons (19g) butter

Instructions​

1. To make the dough: Heat the butter and milk together in a small saucepan or in the microwave until the butter melts.
  2. Place the sugar (or malt powder), coriander, and salt in a large bowl, and pour the hot milk over it, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cool to lukewarm, about 100°F to 110°F (38-43c)
  3. Weigh your flour; or measure it by gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess. Stir in the yeast and flour, mixing until a shaggy mass forms. Cover with plastic wrap or a reusable bowl cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
  4. After the rest, knead until smooth; 8 to 10 minutes by hand, or 6 to 8 minutes at medium speed in a mixer. Knead in an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons flour if the dough is uncomfortably sticky.
  5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until it increases in size by at least one third.
  6. To make the filling: Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat to combine, or pulse everything together briefly with a food processor; leave some bits of the cheese intact.
  7. To assemble: Line two baking sheets with parchment. Turn the risen dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into four equal pieces, about 150g each.
  8. Roll each piece into an oval shape about 10" long and 6" wide. Cover with greased plastic wrap, and let rest for 15 minutes.
  9. Spoon one quarter of the cheese mixture (about 119g) into the center of each and spread to within 1" of the edges.
  10. Pull the dough's edges up around the cheese, folding and twisting the ends to form a boat shape.
  11. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes, or until puffy but not doubled. While the breads are rising, preheat the oven to 375°F with two racks toward the center.
  12. Brush the exposed edges of the khachapuri with the egg wash and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until they feel set; they won't have started to brown nor will the filling be bubbly, but don't worry; they're going to continue to bake once you add their egg-and-butter garnish.
  13. Remove from the oven and use the back of a spoon to make an indentation about 3" across in the filling of each khachapuri. Crack an egg into each, place a teaspoon of butter on top, and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes (for soft-set eggs), or 12 to 15 minutes (for firmer eggs).
  14. Remove from the oven and serve warm. Garnish with additional fresh herbs, if desired.

Recipe source: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/khachapuri-georgian-cheese-bread-recipe

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks lovely - its very like pizza, really but with a deeper cheese filling (minus tomato).
I tried making the ATK version which indeed was more pizza-like, but I wasn't thrilled. The Georgian versions I've had (and made) have a higher hydration dough than most pizza. Chama Mama in NYC makes the best I've ever tried, and I've modeled my own after theirs. They put the egg yolk and butter on after baking, then stir them in vigorously at tableside, allowing the heat of the cheese to cook the egg and melt the butter.

If you're in or near a big city, you might be able to find imeruli and sulguni cheeses, which do amazingly for the filling. And if you want to be civilized, open a bottle of amber Rkatsiteli to go with it.

Now y'all have me thinking that I need to make this for Picky Eater.

They put the egg yolk and butter on after baking, then stir them in vigorously at tableside, allowing the heat of the cheese to cook the egg and melt the butter.

(my bold).

So is the egg 'scrambled'? I can't quite visualise this technique.

(my bold).

So is the egg 'scrambled'? I can't quite visualise this technique.
It doesn’t quite scramble them so to speak. The egg cooks to the point of ding safe to eat but isn’t fully coked, rather a thick creamy texture. This the the way I do it as well and the way I was shown by a Georgian woman I knew. The way all these flavors come together is so delicious. Pizza-like but definitely has it’s own flavor profile. If it wasn’t 8pm right now………….I’m starving now! Lol

I tried making the ATK version which indeed was more pizza-like, but I wasn't thrilled. The Georgian versions I've had (and made) have a higher hydration dough than most pizza. Chama Mama in NYC makes the best I've ever tried, and I've modeled my own after theirs. They put the egg yolk and butter on after baking, then stir them in vigorously at tableside, allowing the heat of the cheese to cook the egg and melt the butter.

If you're in or near a big city, you might be able to find imeruli and sulguni cheeses, which do amazingly for the filling. And if you want to be civilized, open a bottle of amber Rkatsiteli to go with it.

Now y'all have me thinking that I need to make this for Picky Eater.
I’ve tried Sulguni but not Imeruli, I’ll keep an eye out for that:)
It just so happens they carry amber Rkatsiteli at my local store, I think I”ll be making a trip there tomorrow:wink: hanks for the recommendations:)

Yeah that worked - its sort -of scrambled. I mean the yolk is not intact.

It doesn’t quite scramble them so to speak. The egg cooks to the point of ding safe to eat but isn’t fully coked, rather a thick creamy texture. This the the way I do it as well and the way I was shown by a Georgian woman I knew. The way all these flavors come together is so delicious. Pizza-like but definitely has it’s own flavor profile. If it wasn’t 8pm right now………….I’m starving now! Lol

Its interesting!

Back
Top Bottom