Kiwano fruit

I was just telling my wife, "Hey, we're out of kiwano fruit! We've got to pick some more up! I can't go a day without it!"

Ok, that's a lie, I've also never heard of it. I'll check with the millennials in my family, maybe it's something they've stumbled upon and tried to make their own, like Trilby hats and bands that feature the glockenspiel. :wink:

OK, I texted all my trendy millennials, including the super-trendy California ones, and they all had exactly the same response:

"A what? No."

Then I included a picture, and the California ones said:

"Oh, seen it, never eaten it."

My less sophisticated Ohio ones said:

"What is that, a spiky lemon?"

After all the responses here, I think that kiwano farmer is trying to create his own market:

Farmer: "I sell 80% of these in the US, they're crazy for them!"

Super-Trendy US Couple: "OMG! I've never heard of these, but everyone here is eating them! We have to get some!"

Farmer: 😏
Exactly.
We have a similar story here, most probably true considering the guy involved. The most famous balm here is Siddhalepa, a balm exported to many countries. It is said that the owner, when he started it many decades ago, sent people to every shop in main cities asking if they can buy Siddhalepa. Every day several people would ask for the balm and say that it's a proven cure for aches etc. and it has such a high demand that every shop has sold them out.
After a week a Siddhalepa distributor arrives in the city, and the sellers would buy them without a single question.

They are delish. They make for a really fun and funky table piece when we use to do large spread. Inevitably someone asks, "can you eat that thing"? and we'd crack it open.

Taste is kiwi-ish, and green grape-ish. But seedy, really seedy. I can see where it would do where one would use cucumbers, may have to give that a go.

I've seen them a couple of times in the supermarket, but I never tried them. After I have tried cactus fruit and I didn't like it, I thought they were relatives. Stay healthy

Back
Top Bottom