Recipe Kumamoto Oysters Tobiko

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
6:36 AM
Kumamoto Oysters Tobiko:

NOTE: Kumamoto oysters are small, but very flavorful. Their flavor makes them very desirable.

full.jpg

Ingredients:

1) Oysters, Kumamoto - 6
2) Ice, crushed - 1 cup
3) Horseradish - 2 tblspns.
4) Tobiko (orange flying fish roe) - 6 tspns.
5) Lemon juice - as required

Procedure:

1) Fill a shallow round pan with crushed ice.
2) Shuck each oyster.
3) Place each oyster in the pan using the deeper cupped shell half.
4) Fill 2 spice dishes, one with horse radish and one with tobiko.
5) Place the spice dishes in the center of the pan.
6) Splash each oyster with lemon juice.
7) Serve.

NOTE: The diner has the option of adding whatever amounts of horseradish and tobiko they desire.

If you know anything about me you will know I love oysters! I think its a great idea to serve them with fish roe and horse radish.

How did you manage to get the fresh oysters? I have to order on-line delivery or drive to the coast.

If you know anything about me you will know I love oysters! I think its a great idea to serve them with fish roe and horse radish.

How did you manage to get the fresh oysters? I have to order on-line delivery or drive to the coast.

I ordered them from Giovanni's, the same place where I got the soft shell blue crabs, etc. I got my tobiko from them too and in my last order with the oysters and tobiko, included a Florida spiny lobster (live). They are down in Morro Bay, California and delivery was over night. Giovanni's has proven to be an excellent source for seafood in my area.

Although Kumamoto oysters are Japanese, they are farmed not far from here, in Pt. Reyes, California.

We first had the Kumamoto and Wianno as well as French Kiss and Long Island Blue Point at a restaurant/seafood market in 1 of the ritzy areas in Palm Beach back about 2 years ago. We liked the Kumamotos a lot but our favorite was the Wiannos. A high end Italian market in the same area also carries varieties of West coast and Northeast coast oysters. Just a squeeze of lemon juice is my favorite accompaniment.

We like to make a compound butter with garlic, white wine and Creole spices, plop a teaspoon or so of it on an opened Gulf oyster and grill it until the butter melts and the edges of the oyster just start to curl. It's a NOLA specialty.

Blue points and wellpoints are good. Out here on the west coast, we have pacific and pacific gold, as well as grassy bar oysters. I haven't tried any of the local varieties. I would've got some blue points, if it were not for the kumamotos being available. I never heard of the wianno oysters.

I can get fresh oysters here, and I'm almost 300 miles from the coast. It is probably because of the size of the Dallas metropolitan area. With about five million people, it is profitable to bring them here -- and considering the price, I'm guessing the profit margin is good.

CD

We like to make a compound butter with garlic, white wine and Creole spices, plop a teaspoon or so of it on an opened Gulf oyster and grill it until the butter melts and the edges of the oyster just start to curl. It's a NOLA specialty.

I love Gulf oysters grilled over fire with garlic butter. :hungry:

CD

Back
Top Bottom