Lamb lollipops

I take a leg of lamb, prick it over, rub in Evoo salt n pepper. Then rub rosemary over it, and cook in an oven bag. It's unbelievable. I make my own mint sauce but prefer mint jelly on my lamb. I've yet to find a good mint jelly recipe. Mint is massive outside, a lady down the road called in this morning for a few handfuls. My wife gives stuff away on poo pourri book. She also gave a pile of rosemary away to a Brazilian lady who's husband makes rosemary butter for his lamb. I'm thinking of trying the same?????

Russ

I've never liked mint with lamb -- or any meat, for that matter. I do use rosemary, and always have it ten steps outside my kitchen door. I use garlic, too. I use garlic with almost everything short of desserts.

CD
Yeah, rosemary won't grow up here. I've tried. It gets as cold as -5F here in winter sometimes. We don't get much sun in winter, either, so even windowsill probably wouldn't work.

Wouldn't it be more entertaining to do a Rack of Lamb?

Wouldn't it be more entertaining to do a Rack of Lamb?

Depends on what you are going for. If we are grilling, I prefer a wet, loose paste rub, hour or 2 marinade, a hot grill and lollipops. If I want to do an herb crust, I'll do a rack and bake like we did for Christmas. Everybody has their own preference.

Yeah, rosemary won't grow up here. I've tried. It gets as cold as -5F here in winter sometimes. We don't get much sun in winter, either, so even windowsill probably wouldn't work.

Ours grows on side of house, no sun, we also get frosts of minus up to -8.
Doesn't effect our mint. I've put pics up before of our two large clumps.

Russ

Russ
-5F equals around -20C. It has gotten as cold as -10F a few times.

Minus 8 Celsius. We don't use f here, well I use f quite a lot. Not Fahrenheit lol.

Russ
That's why I converted it for you.

-5F didn't stand for f'in cold, even though it is, LOL.

Minus 8 Celsius. We don't use f here, well I use f quite a lot. Not Fahrenheit lol.

Russ
-8C = around 17F. I will take it.

Edited to add that it doesn't get that cold all the time, mostly in mid-February.

Last edited:
I've never liked mint with lamb -- or any meat, for that matter. I do use rosemary, and always have it ten steps outside my kitchen door. I use garlic, too. I use garlic with almost everything short of desserts.

CD
One thing I've recently "discovered" is chimichurri made with mint. Not all chimichurris are made with mint, but the one I made is basically a pesto (it even looks like pesto), but with mint, vinegar, and cilantro. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I can see using this on just about anything, particularly meats.

Russ
But we were talking about rosemary, you are talking about mint? Mint grows here with no problems and comes back every year.

One thing I've recently "discovered" is chimichurri made with mint. Not all chimichurris are made with mint, but the one I made is basically a pesto (it even looks like pesto), but with mint, vinegar, and cilantro. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I can see using this on just about anything, particularly meats.

Mint rhaita with tandoori cutlets are heaven, I kid you not, my wife would fight to the death for the match up.

Russ

But we were talking about rosemary, you are talking about mint? Mint grows here with no problems and comes back every year.

Rosemary here all year as well. In fact my wife gave a pile of it away a few days ago to a Brazilian lady for rosemary butter. They love it on lamb. I'm toying with the idea of making it as well now.

Russ

Rosemary here all year as well. In fact my wife gave a pile of it away a few days ago to a Brazilian lady for rosemary butter. They love it on lamb. I'm toying with the idea of making it as well now.

Russ
You can send me some if you want, LOL. I will take some of that lamb as well, hahah!

Back
Top Bottom