Latest findings on egg consumption

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:47 PM
Egg up, folks, the floodgates have been opened!

New Study Finds Eating Eggs May Not Increase Cholesterol Levels.

Summary (from the article):

• People who ate 12 fortified eggs per week had similar cholesterol levels after four months as people who ate fewer than two eggs per week.
  • The study was small, but suggests that fortified eggs may be a heart-healthy addition to the diet, even for people with or at risk of heart disease.
  • Experts recommend that eggs be eaten in moderation due to their high cholesterol content.

" . . . which was funded by Eggland’s Best . . . " . . . and not peer reviewed.
and, as posted, a few zillion studies in US and elsewhere (UK did a really big one) dietary cholesterol has no discernible effect on serum cholesterol.

Q1: what is a "fortified egg?"

tried Eggland's Best eggs once - not good stuff.
in investigating I found Eggland 'headquarters' was in a residence/house in an area I knew quite well.
it is apparently just a marketing firm - they have no chickens, no processing - as best I can figure,
they buy up excess shell eggs from producers and label them as a superior product.
note that Eggland's Best does not display the USDA seal - so don't count on them being produced, inspected or packaged to USDA standards . . .

here's a pix of an Eggland's Best and a supermarket egg - care to guess which is which?
1712328898900.jpeg

Eggland's Best does not display the USDA seal - so don't count on them being produced, inspected or packaged to USDA standards . . .

The FDA, USDA and another government agency are responsible for inspecting, grading, overseeing production of eggs in the shell. Get your facts straight before posting inflammatory misinformation.

Who inspects eggs in the shell?

Another article

Just FYI, "egg processed products" are parts of an egg OUT of the shell.

Last edited:
Egg up, folks, the floodgates have been opened!

New Study Finds Eating Eggs May Not Increase Cholesterol Levels.

Summary (from the article):

• People who ate 12 fortified eggs per week had similar cholesterol levels after four months as people who ate fewer than two eggs per week.
  • The study was small, but suggests that fortified eggs may be a heart-healthy addition to the diet, even for people with or at risk of heart disease.
  • Experts recommend that eggs be eaten in moderation due to their high cholesterol content.
We eat a lot of eggs here (generally cage-free brown eggs sourced from small Amish and Mennonite farms). Hubby eats 2 eggs per day 4-5 days a week. Back when he was working a lot, he would sometimes eat 2 eggs in the mornings and a couple more hard-boiled eggs for a snack later. Just today we shared a 4-egg omelet for brunch.

1712345721155.jpeg

It's been known for a long time eating cholesterol doesn't increase cholesterol levels.
Eating saturated fat however not so good.. pass the butter 😆
Yes please!

As a heart patient since 1988 with two bypass surgeries under my belt, I do not worry about what I eat. I only worry about how much of it I eat. My wife has allergies to beef and shellfish so those are a couple of things we avoid out of necessity. Between the two of us we eat more than a dozen eggs per week. I must have 20 different ways to use them. They are healthy and affordable. Some say they are eggcellent.

Back
Top Bottom