Lazy ‘Cooking’

And I would love you to start a thread on food history.
It's fascinating :)

That would cover dozens of threads, as food history is different all over the world.

I write about some random Texas food history on this forum, and others mention food history from their areas. I don't think we have any Zambezi Valley food history mentioned... yet.

CD

More lazy cooking, English muffin pizzas done in an air fryer:

C2D26150-DCEA-4421-B114-41D35FC5B37A.jpeg

That would cover dozens of threads, as food history is different all over the world.

I write about some random Texas food history on this forum, and others mention food history from their areas. I don't think we have any Zambezi Valley food history mentioned... yet.

CD
Well, just one general thread to tell everyone a bit about your local cuisine should be possible?

I think the reputation has more to do with the bland food (mashed potato dishes)
I think you may have a good point there. A lot of the "worst" rated cuisines in the world (Iceland, UK, Finland, Norway, Russia, Holland) are criticised because their food is simple and limited to a few ingredients, perhaps.

And they're simple because they prefer a big TV, or a new car over fancy food, at least that's the case here in Germany. We use round about 30% of our income for food. In France, Spain and Italy they use roughly 50%

As part of "Lazy Cooking", & this is when I don't feel like cooking a whole meal, I keep some bologna, turkey or ham, cheese, hot dogs & burgers on hand , that I don't end up cooking a whole meal late at night. I find myself doing this quite often. :whistling:

Last edited:
As part of "Lazy Cooking", & this is when I don't feel like cooking a whole meal, I keep some bologna, turkey or ham, cheese, hot dogs & burgers on hand , that I don't end up cooking a whole meal late at night. I find myself doing this quite often. :whistling:
Well, who wants to cook a whole meal every day of the week, 24/7 /365?!!! You'd have leftovers stacked up in the fridge. So much, that you'd probably throw them all away!! That would definitely be a waste of food & not to mention, money!!!! :eek:

Last edited:
This is lazy cooking in our house. Living rurally there is no 'takeaway' option, so 12 minutes of mostly doing nothing.

The Fry's nuggets and sweet potato fries go through the air fryer together for 10 minutes. The peas get boiling water poured on them and left to stand until serving. The egg gets fried for a few minutes until the white is set and the yolk is still runny. That's it.

Otherwise lazy cooking is beans on toast, egg on toast, scrambled egg, or raiding the freezer for a reheat. There are also a handful of vegan ready meals in the freezer as well (though I don't know how many hubby ate whilst I was in hospital so we may need to restock at some point, but hubby is making noises about the depth of the deep freeze reserves. :whistling:

And they're simple because they prefer a big TV, or a new car over fancy food, at least that's the case here in Germany. We use round about 30% of our income for food. In France, Spain and Italy they use roughly 50%
I'm a statistical outlier, I know. We definitely use at least 40% . If not more, because the food in NL is more expensive than the rest of continental Europe. Hordes of Dutch people shop in Germany and Belgium for that reason.

I'm also super cheap when it comes to food, but I like the challenge of making good cheap food.
Some chefs still brag about the guests, who want everything as good as possible for nothing, others just leave the country.

I should have added to my post about nasi goreng that I make the spice mixture in advance, so no need to peel my garlic and onion, cut chili's, pound everything on the spot.
Just fry a couple of spoonfulls instead
(this specific bumbu actually consist of chili's. garlic, onion, shrimp paste, lemongrass and tamarind)

I made a gallon of chicken soup the other night (chicken, celery, carrots, and onion). I portioned it into containers. I don't add the noodles until right before we eat so they don't get soggy. I parboil them and heat them with the soup for a few minutes to finish cooking so they absorb flavor. So that's lazy dinner tonight.

Back
Top Bottom