Lazy ‘Cooking’

I expected tonight to be lazy cooking, just leftover/reheated ham, potatoes, and carrots from last night…until I realize we ate all the carrots (we would’ve had enough, but we fixed a plate for the neighbor yesterday), so now I have to steam some carrots and broccoli, and my first thought was…”Well hell, now I’m cooking!” :laugh:

Low effort to me really means no effort!

If it were me I'd just have the ham and potatoes (and if available some salad leaves).

Still too complicated.

I don't feel like Bolognese pasta tonight so I didn't bother mentioning it to my husband. Like I wrote in my earlier post, I make a large batch and freeze it for nights I don't feel like cooking. I don't mind cooking tonight, obviously, but since I have quite a bit of prime rib roast left, I would rather use it up than figure out something else. Not too complicated at all!

Lazy cooking to me is to open the freezer and grab one of my ready meals.
Sometimes a real surprise as quite often I forget to label them :)
Eat with pasta or rice, or bread.
Or 2 minute noodles and fry a little bacon, onion, chili's and garlic and whatever else lies around (add fish sauce or soy). Throw noodles in and add an egg, scramble and done. 10 minute job

Maybe the epitome of lazy cooking? Our dinner tonight.

20230411_175854.jpg

The absolute bottom of the barrel in lazy cooking in this household is eating ramen noodles or instant laksa. Otherwise I only eat ready meals I made myself because I always make more than I need.

It's unfair that the Netherlands is considered a nation with bad food, but not when it comes to ready meals. Those are easily the worst in Europe as far as I have experienced . British ready meals are miles ahead for example. I think the lack of good ready meals may in part explain why our food has a bad reputation. It's basically the same as bad airline food.

The absolute bottom of the barrel in lazy cooking in this household is eating ramen noodles or instant laksa. Otherwise I only eat ready meals I made myself because I always make more than I need.

It's unfair that the Netherlands is considered a nation with bad food, but not when it comes to ready meals. Those are easily the worst in Europe as far as I have experienced . British ready meals are miles ahead for example. I think the lack of good ready meals may in part explain why our food has a bad reputation. It's basically the same as bad airline food.
Can't agree or disagree as the only ready meal I've ever bought has been frozen pizza.
On the other hand, fresh produce is generally good, plentiful and fairly affordable.
Luckily I like cooking and had a dad who was a very good cook and a mum who was a more than competent cook :)

I think the reputation has more to do with the bland food (mashed potato dishes). No wonder Indonesian food got embraced (well, at least by some).

Going back to lazy meals:
Bread, fried or scrambled eggs (or omelet) with bacon, onion and tomatoes or
Nasi goreng with fried eggs and some cucumber pickles

I think the reputation has more to do with the bland food (mashed potato dishes). No wonder Indonesian food got embraced (well, at least by some).
Sure, but it's odd that this is cited so often to describe Dutch food. Can't blame you because even the Dutch themselves don't know much about their own food culture.
There's much more diversity out there, and before the second world war our cuisine was far more diverse. Basically what made bland food popular here was the hardline Calvinist religious who believed that spices were sinful and founded the ' huishoudschool ' ( household school for girls) and taught a whole generation of women to cook bland food. What is known as Dutch food now is actually quite modern ( and sad).
Belgian food has a much better reputation but is quite similar to Dutch cooking when not looking through the Calvinist lens.

However, looking back in history the further you go the spicier it gets. We were big in the spice trade and definitely took our share.
I think I should start a thread on food history some time. It's my absolute favorite subject.

Can't agree or disagree as the only ready meal I've ever

Going back to lazy meals:
Bread, fried or scrambled eggs (or omelet) with bacon, onion and tomatoes or
Nasi goreng with fried eggs and some cucumber pickles
You consider nasi goreng lazy? You must love hard work :wink:

You consider nasi goreng lazy? You must love hard work :wink:
Well, the rice was left over and cooled, meat was left over and already cut, but you are right, I have done lazier meals.
But it is really worth the effort. Let's call it a semi lazy meal :wink:

And I would love you to start a thread on food history.
It's fascinating :)

Back
Top Bottom