2 slices bacon, chopped
3 cups sliced leeks, white and pale green parts only
1-1/2 cups half and half
3 large eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter six 3/4 cup custard cups. Set aside.

Place bacon in a heavy large skillet and turn on heat to medium. Cook bacon for 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and add butter and allow to melt. Add leeks and sweat until very tender and just starting to get some color, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until a coarse paste forms. Add half and half and blend well. Add eggs, cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Blend until well combined.

While leeks are cooking, put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Turn burner off and allow water to stop boiling before proceeding with next step.

Divide mixture evenly between the 6 cups. Place cups in a baking pan large enough to hold all of them. Place baking pan in oven with the rack partially out. Fill a measuring cup with the hot water and pour into baking pan. Repeat until water is about half-way up the cups. Gently and carefully push oven rack into place, trying to avoid water splashing into your custard cups. Bake until custards are set in the middle, about 40 minutes. Carefully remove from water and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to loosen the custards, turn out onto plates and serve warm.

TIP: If you have canning jar holders/grippers, they work great to take the custard cups out of the hot water. Alternatively, use a wide spatula to slide under the bottom and tongs to steady the custard cups.

Last edited:
I was expecting pastry tarts when I read the title but these are savoury custards in my book. I was also surprised that the leeks and bacon were blended - that is interesting. In fact, though, the proportion of bacon to leek is low so I'm thinking these are predominantly tasting of leeks, with the bacon used as a flavouring. An interesting recipe.

Would you serve them with anything else or on their own as a starter?

Mostly leek taste if I remember correctly, it's been a while. I think we served it with some kind of a beef dish before, either steak or a roast. This time, they are planned as a side for lamb lollipops plus a green vege of some sort. I do remember Craig loved these, but then we forgot about them.

They could be a starter or even a light lunch. I'd probaby sweat some leeks or maybe some spinach and onions or leeks as a bed.

I actually came across this recipe when I was looking for another one we haven't made in ages that I also want to make for the challenge. We've made this other one several times. It's also a multi use recipe.

Back
Top Bottom