Recipe Leek, Potato and Cheddar Soup

jennyb

Über Member
Local time
6:38 AM
This is quite easy to make and tastes very creamy even though no cream is added. This quantity is about right for two people

1 large leek
butter
1 medium sized baking potato
100g strong cheddar
a few sprigs of tarragon
400ml vegetable stock
white pepper

Method
Chop the leek and cook slowly in butter until soft.
Add the potato cut in small chunks and stock and tarragon leaves. Simmer until the potato is done.
Add water if the soup is a bit too thick.
Add the cheese cut into little chunks or grated and simmer until the cheese is melted.
Liquidise the soup to a smooth consistency and re-heat. Add white pepper and salt if required.

This is quite easy to make and tastes very creamy even though no cream is added. This quantity is about right for two people

1 large leek
butter
1 medium sized baking potato
100g strong cheddar
a few sprigs of tarragon
400ml vegetable stock
white pepper

Method
Chop the leek and cook slowly in butter until soft.
Add the potato cut in small chunks and stock and tarragon leaves. Simmer until the potato is done.
Add water if the soup is a bit too thick.
Add the cheese cut into little chunks or grated and simmer until the cheese is melted.
Liquidise the soup to a smooth consistency and re-heat. Add white pepper and salt if required.

This is similar to the soup my husband makes except he doesn't use tarragon and he adds the cheese after he has blended the mixture together.

This is similar to the soup my husband makes except he doesn't use tarragon and he adds the cheese after he has blended the mixture together.
I was thinking of making this. It will be interesting to see what the tarragon does to the taste. I suppose it might not matter when the cheese is added really...

OK - I had a go at making the soup. It turned out very well. I needed to add more water than stated as it evaporates during the cooking of the potatoes. The tarragon is exceptionally good as it seems to draw out the sweetness of the cheese but also makes it taste 'almost' as if it had blue cheese added. I've never used tarragon with cheese before but might experiment more with that idea. I added a retro swirl of cream to the top!

Here is the photo I took. If you approve @jennyb I can add it to your Recipe post. BTW, you need to add a link to the recipe on the Recipe Challenge thread.

IMGP1630.jpg

Back
Top Bottom