Lefty or righty?

I had a customer/friend that is a brilliant doctor, and filthy rich, but has almost zero computer skills. He is a "hunt and peck" guy on a keyboard.

One day, I saw a few of his employees in his office, with šŸ’©-eating grins on their faces. They rearranged the keys on his keyboard. Of course, I had to stick around and see how this played out.

His office had a window next to the door allowing him to see out, and allowing us to see in -- from a safe distance.

He sat down and started to reply to an email, and he was staring at the keyboard and typing with one finger. After about ten minutes, he looked at the monitor before hitting "send."

Of course, what he saw was pure gibberish. The profanity erupted, and we were laughing our a$$es off. :laugh:

CD
My son did that at our office. I couldn't figure it out for a day or two. He also signed me up with a Russian dating site. Using a film star hunk as my profile.
I can take a joke. :)

Russ

Iā€™ve been wearing specs since I was 11, and it never bothered me (I just thought of them as a fashion accessory :laugh: ) until I hit 40 or so and needed bi/trifocals/progressives. Now I hate them!
I had an optometrist tell me I was weird because at 55 I was only wearing 1.25 readers and could see distances well. He wasn't happy that he couldn't sell me anything. I'm 61 and I'm wearing 1.5 now. I still see distances clearly.

Last edited:
Playing catchup...

I'm neither left or right handed. I don't have a dominant hand, just a preferred hand for various activities, though many things I'm as happy using my right hand as my left hand (which used to bug people when I played badminton because I never needed a backhand, I just switched my racket by throwing it between hands (yeah, illegal move I know...))

I was forced to learn to write with my right hand as was the belief that all should write with the right hand. The result was mirror writing instead... it took a very long time to "turn mirror wiring off"... and reading knitting charts from bottom right, left and then up is easy for be and if I have to write out the chart for any reason, I will write it right to left bottom to top... (edit to add, I'll follow it right to left and bottom to top as well).

Scissors, knives, don't bother me. Which ever hand is fine. Writing I can write quickly but illegible (to most) with my right, slowly and neatly with my left. I make more dyslexic mistakes with my right hand and still have to work out which way an "e" or say a "b" is when using my right hand.

Driving doesn't bother me. Either side of the car, or either side of the road. Doesn't phase me until there's nothing around to remind you which side you should be on, and one or two drivers over the years have met me passing them on the wrong side (usually on a single track road and/or Scotland)...

My right eye is by dominant eye both for camera and sights for shooting but no sights can correct for my eyesight. I'll hold a monocular night vision scope to my right eye as well.

Fork and knife, which ever I feel like, same with a spoon.

Knitting I can knit both left and right, British or continental style, but prefer right British for some reason, but will then mark my rows off on the pattern using my left hand. I only knit continental style with 2 handed colour work (which I'm doing at the moment).

That finger thing, no issues. Can Vulcan split and lift 3rd finger up without issue on both hands. But I can't lift/move the outside toes on one of my feet (but that's as a result of nerve damage from a nasty dog bite).

Keyboard and mouse, I'm happy to use whatever is set up, but because of wrist issues over the years and hubby being totally right handed tend to have our computer setup for right handed. I can easily use one set up for next hand if needed. I'll put a calculator on the left and use that with my left hand, but if I'm using a keyboard, I'll use the right hand because that's where the number pad usually is.

As for eyesight and cameras (or binoculars or sights on a rifle) none of their ranges extend far enough to correct my eyesight. My eyesight is just too bad.

Last edited:
Wow itā€™s amazing just how much we notice when itā€™s not straightforward right hand dominance isnā€™t it!

I didnā€™t know that bottom right to top left was a thing or writing charts bottom right first to top left was either.

I do both of those. I assumed it was subliminal due to not wanting to smear the page as my hand passed from left to right over the top of wet ink but if you write with your right hand that blows that out of the water šŸ˜‚

Driving doesn't bother me. Either side of the car, or either side of the road.
Drivingā€¦I actually have an easier time driving an American car in the UK than I do a native one.

I also have done (and still do) the lane mixup when there arenā€™t other cars around to keep me straight, especially with left turns. šŸ¤·šŸ»

Keyboard and mouse, I'm happy to use whatever is set up, but because of wrist issues over the years and hubby being totally right handed tend to have our computer setup for right handed.
When I was coming into the office regularly, I used to get annoyed, because the culture here has always been, ā€œIf I need to show you something, and weā€™re in your cube, Iā€™ll just hop on your computer and show you.ā€

I hate that, Iā€™m a little territorial, and I think thatā€™s when I flipped my mouse buttons to be opposite of what a right-handed person would expect, and then I went a step further and swapped monitors, setting the monitor that went with the computer on the right side of my desk with the one that sat on the left side of my desk.

All to get people to quit touching my stuff! :laugh:

When I was coming into the office regularly, I used to get annoyed, because the culture here has always been, ā€œIf I need to show you something, and weā€™re in your cube, Iā€™ll just hop on your computer and show you.ā€

I hate that, Iā€™m a little territorial, and I think thatā€™s when I flipped my mouse buttons to be opposite of what a right-handed person would expect, and then I went a step further and swapped monitors, setting the monitor that went with the computer on the right side of my desk with the one that sat on the left side of my desk.

All to get people to quit touching my stuff! :laugh:
I'd be the same way but it's because of germs. Yuck.

Last edited:
Drivingā€¦I actually have an easier time driving an American car in the UK than I do a native one.

I also have done (and still do) the lane mixup when there arenā€™t other cars around to keep me straight, especially with left turns. šŸ¤·šŸ»

I prefer a right hand drive in Britain, and a left hand drive every else. I never crossed to the wrong lane in the UK, even rounding turns. Driving a right hand drive car in the US is a bit weird, especially a manual transmission/gearbox.

That really isn't a matter of being right or left handed, for me, it's just many years of driving a certain way.

CD

I'm a lefty (actually ambidextrous) but left hand dominant. BTW, left handed people are more likely to be musically inclined. I've been a musician for over 30 years.
Me too. Well not completely ambidextrous but with some things. And been a musician since I started playing piano at 4, trumpet at 12, and guitar at 20. I've always sang, too.

Back
Top Bottom