Lefty or righty?

I’m not sure anyone is saying it’s a BIG deal, it’s just a discussion about the differences.
Science very much backs up there’s a difference.

Only recently (this February just gone) I was enjoying the irritations of being left handed on an upholstery course I was doing. Tools are designed and set up for the 90% who are right handed so you are forced to do things with your right hand and have less control.

Then to add to the joy the tutor said I hate teaching left handed people you have to do everything backwards.
I ended up apologising and telling her I’m perfectly adept at switching things around and can do things right handed, she should go on as usual.
If you are left handed you do have to put up with the inconvenience of a world set up solely for right handers and the unknowing doing and saying irritating things. Should I be apologising- nope but it’s just the way it is.

That’s probably why when lefties start talking about being left handed they blow off a bit of steam saying things that you’d never hear if you were right handed so wouldn’t be aware the left handed experience is different to the right.

All the scissors in my mom's home are left handed, and I'm sure you know that you can't use left handed scissors with your right hand. I'm sure it is the same with trying to use right handed scissors with your left hand.

CD

All the scissors in my mom's home are left handed, and I'm sure you know that you can't use left handed scissors with your right hand. I'm sure it is the same with trying to use right handed scissors with your left hand.

CD
Urgh the scissor thing. That was the biggest pita on the first upholstery class, I forgot to take my own 🙄

I asked my delightful tutor if there were any particular scissors she would recommend for upholstery (not left handed just the type or make) and she spat out “SHARP ONES” 🤣

I replied “Really I would never have thought of that but now I see why I am the student and you are the true master” 😂

CD
Scissors are the bane of my existence. So are those stupid chairs with the tablet arms that are ALWAYS on the wrong side!

Scissors are the bane of my existence. So are those stupid chairs with the tablet arms that are ALWAYS on the wrong side!
I particularly hate shared office space where you don’t necessarily have the same desk every time.
You have to waste time switching the mouse mat, mouse and telephone to the other side and woe betide you if you inconvenience a righty by forgetting to switch it back 😂

I particularly hate shared office space where you don’t necessarily have the same desk every time.
You have to waste time switching the mouse mat, mouse and telephone to the other side and woe betide you if you inconvenience a righty by forgetting to switch it back 😂
At our work locations that are like that, they provide lockers, and you’re expected to put anything like that in your locker at the end of the day.

Even though I'm a lefty,my mouse and such are on the right.

At our work locations that are like that, they provide lockers, and you’re expected to put anything like that in your locker at the end of the day.
I don’t really like it. There are certain things that make a desk more comfortable that you’re not going to lug in and out everyday.
In the height of summer I’d have to walk a large fan 15 mins up and down a steep hill to and from my car or spend all day boiling because you couldn‘t leave it there.
I also noticed that people always went for the same preferred desk anyway and making sure they got that desk just caused unnecessary tension. Especially if someone unwitting sat at “their desk” 😆

Last edited:
Urgh the scissor thing. That was the biggest pita on the first upholstery class, I forgot to take my own 🙄

I asked my delightful tutor if there were any particular scissors she would recommend for upholstery (not left handed just the type or make) and she spat out “SHARP ONES” 🤣

I replied “Really I would never have thought of that but now I see why I am the student and you are the true master” 😂

One year for Christmas my mom told me she want a new pair of scissors. Left handed, of course. That's all she wants???? A pair of scissors??? I soon found out that really good sewing scissors are seriously expensive, and left-handed ones were even more expensive (that makes no sense, but it is what it is).

It is also a mystery to me why a right handed person can't use left handed scissors, but I've tried, and it just doesn't work.

CD

One year for Christmas my mom told me she want a new pair of scissors. Left handed, of course. That's all she wants???? A pair of scissors??? I soon found out that really good sewing scissors are seriously expensive, and left-handed ones were even more expensive (that makes no sense, but it is what it is).

It is also a mystery to me why a right handed person can't use left handed scissors, but I've tried, and it just doesn't work.

CD
I've been using right handed scissors my whole life. I just flip them around backwards or use them with my right hand if that's too awkward. We lefties learn to adapt.

Just out of curiosity, are the people here right or left eyed. Being a professional photographer and sportsman, I am left eyed. I use my left eye to look through the viewfinder on my cameras, and use my left eye to look down the barrel of a gun to aim it. I have asked other photographers about this, and it is very common for them to favor one hand, and favor the opposite eye.

CD

I've been using right handed scissors my whole life. I just flip them around backwards or use them with my right hand if that's too awkward. We lefties learn to adapt.

I can't use my mom's scissors with my right hand, and my left hand is almost useless, at least for anything requiring even the slightest amount of precision.

CD

I don’t really like it.
I don’t think anyone except the corporate masochists who dictate this bull💩 like it.

Thankfully, my location is a mix of three schemes - assigned cubicles (me), hotel cubicles (you reserve your space the day before), and open seating (first come, first serve.

Of course, we have so few people in on any one day, it really doesn’t matter much. Most employees are “asked” to come in two days a week, though I’m exempt from that for some reason (I do go in one day a week just for solidarity, because it’s highly unpopular and I don’t like my coworkers getting the shaft while I get excused).

When I’m in, I usually go sit in a conference room.

As to using a mouse…I have two (two machines on my desk), so I use one with my left hand and one with my right hand (not at the same time). I think I have the buttons switched, but it’s been so long, I can’t remember.

Back
Top Bottom