Lefty or righty?

My
I must have inherited the navigation thing from my dad (pilot in the AF before they had a lot of the bells and whistles they do these days--joined Army Air Corps in the 1930s flying biplanes, often solo). My husband can't find his way out of a wet paper bag. I only have to drive down many turns and twists on a road once to remember how to get back somewhere and hub will get lost--which is one of the many reasons I am the one driving. I can also look at food and know how much is going to fit in a container, but that might just be from experience. He rarely gets that one right.

My youngest stepdaughter (also a lefty) is a math genius and a financial wizard. Well at least she has figured out how to make enough money to satisfy her spending habits and still has some to put away and invest, unlike her sisters and brother. The other 3 spend it as fast as they make it!

Edited to add: I learned how to read when I was 4 and was playing piano (self-taught) pretty well by age 6. I read at an incredibly fast rate. Now piano skills are supposed to help with math. I can add and subtract sums of numbers quite easily in my head, but never was much good at higher math. Well I honestly didn't want to be. In college I excelled at algebra but had no interest in taking it further, LOL.
Wife had no sense of direction whatsoever.
Nearly divorced when 8 weeks driving john o groats to landsend.
I would plan via marker pen the night before. Even wrote key roundabout. After setting off 10 mins later. I dont know where we are?

Russ

My

I would plan via marker pen the night before. Even wrote key roundabout. After setting off 10 mins later. I dont know where we are?

Russ
I can get somewhere without really knowing where I am going (never been before) by using a compass. Course that doesn't work well in the mountains or marshy/river areas, LOL.

I must have inherited the navigation thing from my dad (pilot in the AF before they had a lot of the bells and whistles they do these days--joined Army Air Corps in the 1930s flying biplanes, often solo). My husband can't find his way out of a wet paper bag. I only have to drive down many turns and twists on a road once to remember how to get back somewhere and hub will get lost--which is one of the many reasons I am the one driving. I can also look at food and know how much is going to fit in a container, but that might just be from experience. He rarely gets that one right.

My youngest stepdaughter (also a lefty) is a math genius and a financial wizard. Well at least she has figured out how to make enough money to satisfy her spending habits and still has some to put away and invest, unlike her sisters and brother. The other 3 spend it as fast as they make it!

Edited to add: I learned how to read when I was 4 and was playing piano (self-taught) pretty well by age 6. I read at an incredibly fast rate. Now piano skills are supposed to help with math. I can add and subtract sums of numbers quite easily in my head, but never was much good at higher math. Well I honestly didn't want to be. In college I excelled at algebra but had no interest in taking it further, LOL.

Mum knew a family that had 6 kids every one played a different instrument. Unbelievable how they invited us every new years eve to their band. Amazing times.

Russ

My

Russ

One of the nicknames my ex-wife gave me was "the nose." It was inspired by Toucan Sam from the Fruit Loops cereal commercials. When we traveled, we could arrive anywhere, look at a map, get in a rental car, and drive to where we wanted to go. I drove from Edinburgh, Scotland to London like that.

I honestly can not explain it. It just happens. It takes me fifteen minutes to find my iPhone inside my own house, but I can find some restaurant in a city I've never been to with no difficulty. :laugh:

CD

There was a study done that the thinking process of righties v lefties are so far different.
DH is a lefty
My Father was a lefty
I am "Mixed-handed" :
Over time, two new categories have joined the traditional lefties and righties. “Mixed-handed” individuals have a preference for a particular hand for certain tasks, whereas “ambidextrous” people, thought to be exceptionally rare, can perform tasks equally well with both hands. Quoted from Medical News Today.

One of the nicknames my ex-wife gave me was "the nose." It was inspired by Toucan Sam from the Fruit Loops cereal commercials. When we traveled, we could arrive anywhere, look at a map, get in a rental car, and drive to where we wanted to go. I drove from Edinburgh, Scotland to London like that.

I honestly can not explain it. It just happens. It takes me fifteen minutes to find my iPhone inside my own house, but I can find some restaurant in a city I've never been to with no difficulty. :laugh:

CD
I'm not as good as you but I do have a good sense of direction. We were just saying hes how 40 years ago we would have big maps. Here nz is pretty much 1 highway. A town along the way.

Russ

I am right handed, but I can do a lot of things, but certainly not everything, with my left hand. I think it was probably because of years and years of piano. I can do the Vulcan greeting as well, plus put my hands flat on a table and lift my fourth fingers well over an inch without lifting any other fingers, which most people cannot do.

CD

Reminds us of me looking for my glasses. I spent an hour looks for them.
They were on my head. I dont need them to read just distance so normally on my noggin.

Russ

I am right handed, but I can do a lot of things, but certainly not everything, with my left hand. I think it was probably because of years and years of piano. I can do the Vulcan greeting as well, plus put my hands flat on a table and lift my fourth fingers well over an inch without lifting any other fingers, which most people cannot do.
But can you chew gum while walking??
Lol. :)

Russ

I just tried that, did about 1/2".

I think it was probably because of years and years of piano. I can do the Vulcan greeting as well, plus put my hands flat on a table and lift my fourth fingers well over an inch without lifting any other fingers, which most people cannot do.

I just checked, an I can do both of those things. I can rub my belly and pat my head at the same time, too. Now, if I could figure out how to make some money with those talents... :laugh:

CD

Another lefty here. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered so many lefty’s in one place!

I was about 4 years old when I first heard I was ‘of the devil’
I remember my parents concerned conversation about be starting school and that I’d have messy handwriting.

I also remember a parent’s evening in my second year at primary and the teacher declaring I was good at cutting things out which was a surprise because left handed people are usually cack handed.
Which simply isn’t true.

Hmph!

Back
Top Bottom