Lefty or righty?

I am totally, absolutely and completely left-handed (and left-footed). My grandad was obliged to write with his right hand, and ended up completely ambidextrous. I never got to play hockey or golf because, way back then, there were no left handed sticks or clubs. One of my sons is a lefty, the other two are right-handed. However, the youngest (who is a great footballer/soccer player) can dribble, control, run and shoot the ball with both left and right .
lift my fourth fingers well over an inch without lifting any other fingers, which most people cannot do.
My piano teacher used to make me do studies by Ernő Dohnányi, because I couldn´t do that. More excruciating than the Algerian Hook torture!!

I am right handed, but I can do a lot of things, but certainly not everything, with my left hand. I think it was probably because of years and years of piano. I can do the Vulcan greeting as well, plus put my hands flat on a table and lift my fourth fingers well over an inch without lifting any other fingers, which most people cannot do.
I can get by on most stringed instruments (meaning, those with a neck), but a piano is torture. I can play the left hand fine…I can play the right hand fine…I cannot play the two simultaneously.

Vulcan thingy, both hands, no problem. Finger lift…left hand yes, right hand, not as much.

Sense of direction is spot-on. When I first arrived in the UK, I had to fetch my car from Ipswich, so I rode over with a guy who was shipping his back to the US, and he promptly fell asleep as soon as we started the trip back.

Ipswich back to Upper Heyford in Oxfordshire is no small journey, and there aren’t any motorways, it’s all A roads, through a lot of twists and turns in towns and cities along the way, but I made it back with no mistakes and no map…to the disbelief of my sleeping guide.

MrsT is fine that way, though she navigates off of landmarks, where I’m more of a directional person. Her problem is, she never liked to drive on road trips because driving made her sleepy, but she could never read a map in a moving car because that made her carsick. That meant the driver (me) had to have a pretty good idea of the route ahead of time, and it’s probably why I still prefer a paper map/road atlas to GPS. I like to see the big picture.

What else…chopsticks, MrsT is deft with those, I can almost manage to get food to my mouth with them.

MrsT is predominantly left-handed (as was her dad), and I’m predominantly right-handed (as is everyone in my family), though she’s more mixed-handed than I am. She writes with her left and throws with her right, for example. I can write with both hands, no problem, but that’s about it.

I am right handed, but I can do a lot of things, but certainly not everything, with my left hand. I think it was probably because of years and years of piano. I can do the Vulcan greeting as well, plus put my hands flat on a table and lift my fourth fingers well over an inch without lifting any other fingers, which most people cannot do.
But can you chew gum while walking??
Lol. :)

Russ
Giggle "The Petersens with the song "Jolene".

Thanks I enjoyed the original. :)

Russ

Mozart, Da Vinci, Winston Churchill, Lady Gaga, Jimi Hendrix, Julia Roberts, Paul McCartney, Prince William - all lefties. That´ll do for me!
However, Beethoven, Picasso, Eisenhower, Amy Winehouse, Carlos Santana, Keira Knightley, Mick Jagger and Henry VII - right handed.

Mozart, Da Vinci, Winston Churchill, Lady Gaga, Jimi Hendrix, Julia Roberts, Paul McCartney, Prince William - all lefties. That´ll do for me!
However, Beethoven, Picasso, Eisenhower, Amy Winehouse, Carlos Santana, Keira Knightley, Mick Jagger and Henry VII - right handed.
Let’s not forget Queen Victoria, Helen Keller, Oprah, Babe Ruth and the awesome Marie Curie.

In the history of the NFL (National Football League) there have only been 33 left handed quarterbacks (for you yurupeans, that's the guy who throws the ball). Only two lefty QBs made it into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

What does that mean? Who knows. And in my opinion, who cares. It's kinda like hair color. Yeah, there are lots of dumb blonde jokes, but I am not aware of any science that ties hair color to intelligence.

CD

In the history of the NFL (National Football League) there have only been 33 left handed quarterbacks (for you yurupeans, that's the guy who throws the ball). Only two lefty QBs made it into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

What does that mean? Who knows. And in my opinion, who cares. It's kinda like hair color. Yeah, there are lots of dumb blonde jokes, but I am not aware of any science that ties hair color to intelligence.

CD
Not quite the same thing. There has been enormous amount of research over the years into left handedness and differences between left and right handed people exist and have been well documented.

Ambidextrous with a dominant right hand. I have been sword fighting with two swords and spear fighting for about 8 years, that taught me to move with both hands. I've also used both hands to cut vegetables in a kitchen to save time.
However, for writing and precision work I prefer my right hand.

Back
Top Bottom