Lefty or righty?

I am right handed, however at meal times knife in left fork in right, when applying a spread the knife is in my right. Apparently this is odd :unsure:
I'd have no idea. I am left handed but when at the dinner table the fork remains in my left hand and the knife in my right, no matter what I am doing (cutting, spreading, or shoveling food in my mouth LOLOLOLOL).

Not quite the same thing. There has been enormous amount of research over the years into left handedness and differences between left and right handed people exist and have been well documented.

The point that I was trying to make is "who cares which hand you use to write a letter to your mom." The only thing that matters is that you care enough to write a letter to your mom.

My mom is left handed. I'm right handed. When I cooked for my family, my sister or I would set the table. We put my mom's utensils and wine glass on the left side of her plate. We never gave it any thought, we just did it.

I am a big believer in science. Actually science doesn't care what I believe, facts are facts. But growing up with a left handed mother taught me that what hand is dominant is trivial. Hey, I'm even okay with the fact that you Brits drive cars with steering wheels on the wrong side of the car, and drive on the wrong side of the road. :wink: :laugh:

CD

I am right handed, however at meal times knife in left fork in right, when applying a spread the knife is in my right. Apparently this is odd :unsure:
I´d have thought that´s what I´d do, being a total lefty. But no. Classic table etiquette puts the fork (forks) on the left and the knife (knives) on the right, and that´s what I had to learn. These days, unless you´re invited to the Coronation, all that irritating etiquette has gone down the drain.
I can remember a very formal dinner at university, first year. Something like 6 courses and a bewildering array of cutlery. Fortunately, I sat next to my professor who whispered " just follow my lead".

I'm even okay with the fact that you Brits drive cars with steering wheels on the wrong side of the car, and drive on the wrong side of the road. :wink: :laugh:
:roflmao: :roflmao: I just wonder why on earth that happened. I think the only countries in the world who drove on the left were the UK, Japan and Sweden (and Sweden changed).

I´d have thought that´s what I´d do, being a total lefty. But no. Classic table etiquette puts the fork (forks) on the left and the knife (knives) on the right, and that´s what I had to learn. These days, unless you´re invited to the Coronation, all that irritating etiquette has gone down the drain.
I can remember a very formal dinner at university, first year. Something like 6 courses and a bewildering array of cutlery. Fortunately, I sat next to my professor who whispered " just follow my lead".
Well most fine dining in the US it's still the same. At casual eateries they often wrap the flatware (or plasticware, LOL) in a paper napkin, and even some nice restaurants will roll the flatware in linen, then additional specific flatware is brought with the corresponding dish.

My mother, grandmother, aunts, and sisters (all right handed) use/used classic etiquette when setting the table and forks always go/went on the left and knives on the right. I always thought it was kinda odd since most people are right handed, but hey, it was convenient for me. Up here in Ohio, my husband's family does the opposite: forks on the right, knives on the left. It's fine, whatever they want to do, but when I set the table at my house, I revert to the way my mother taught me.

:roflmao: :roflmao: I just wonder why on earth that happened. I think the only countries in the world who drove on the left were the UK, Japan and Sweden (and Sweden changed).
Former British colonies tend to drive on the left, everyone else on the right.

As a left hand side of the road Brit I find driving on the right side of the road feels a more natural.

The point that I was trying to make is "who cares which hand you use to write a letter to your mom." The only thing that matters is that you care enough to write a letter to your mom.

My mom is left handed. I'm right handed. When I cooked for my family, my sister or I would set the table. We put my mom's utensils and wine glass on the left side of her plate. We never gave it any thought, we just did it.

I am a big believer in science. Actually science doesn't care what I believe, facts are facts. But growing up with a left handed mother taught me that what hand is dominant is trivial. Hey, I'm even okay with the fact that you Brits drive cars with steering wheels on the wrong side of the car, and drive on the wrong side of the road. :wink: :laugh:

CD

I’m not sure anyone is saying it’s a BIG deal, it’s just a discussion about the differences.
Science very much backs up there’s a difference.

Only recently (this February just gone) I was enjoying the irritations of being left handed on an upholstery course I was doing. Tools are designed and set up for the 90% who are right handed so you are forced to do things with your right hand and have less control.

Then to add to the joy the tutor said I hate teaching left handed people you have to do everything backwards.
I ended up apologising and telling her I’m perfectly adept at switching things around and can do things right handed, she should go on as usual.
If you are left handed you do have to put up with the inconvenience of a world set up solely for right handers and the unknowing doing and saying irritating things. Should I be apologising- nope but it’s just the way it is.

That’s probably why when lefties start talking about being left handed they blow off a bit of steam saying things that you’d never hear if you were right handed so wouldn’t be aware the left handed experience is different to the right.

If your tutor had said that to me, I´d probably have upholstered something unmentionable...
Oh she was a one, you know the sort of bossy teacher looking to tell you off all the time!

On the first day she was struggling to get one of the students to use a tensioning tool. After a painful 20 mins I said you could try using it from bottom to top it would fit better.

The tutor stopped teaching looked me up and down raised her eyebrows scowled and turned away.

I thought oh dear I really shouldn’t have said anything, I’ve accidentally stuck my head above the pulpit.

Another 10-15 mins passed and they still couldn’t get this thing right.

I think hmm I’ve already apologised for being left handed and been scowled at. This harridan has marked me out in front of the class, I think I’m gong to have to go large or go home.

Eventually she does say “Try it the other way round”
Ooo I say that’s a good idea I wish I thought of that 😂

She wooshed up to me and about two inches from my face said “Nobody likes a smart arse”
I raised my eyebrows at her scowling and said is that soooo?
A evil but smiley glint lit her eyes and from that moment on I gave as good as I got and we both enjoyed swiping at each other every class! 🤣😂🤣😂

Oh she was a one, you know the sort of bossy teacher looking to tell you off all the time!

On the first day she was struggling to get one of the students to use a tensioning tool. After a painful 20 mins I said you could try using it from bottom to top it would fit better.

The tutor stopped teaching looked me up and down raised her eyebrows scowled and turned away.

I thought oh dear I really shouldn’t have said anything, I’ve accidentally stuck my head above the pulpit.

Another 10-15 mins passed and they still couldn’t get this thing right.

I think hmm I’ve already apologised for being left handed and been scowled at. This harridan has marked me out in front of the class, I think I’m gong to have to go large or go home.

Eventually she does say “Try it the other way round”
Ooo I say that’s a good idea I wish I thought of that 😂

She wooshed up to me and about two inches from my face said “Nobody likes a smart arse”
I raised my eyebrows at her scowling and said is that soooo?
A evil but smiley glint lit her eyes and from that moment on I gave as good as I got and we both enjoyed swiping at each other every class! 🤣😂🤣😂
Oh my. How very condescending of her, sheesh. I wonder if she'd gotten fired from her position at the school where she was teaching 12 year olds?

At the end of the course she singled me out to tell me if I needed any help with anything in the future or wanted any supplies to just drop by or email her directly.

It was rather touching really.
And it gave my other classmates the green eye which I confess I rather enjoyed them seeing I cracked that nut 😂

Yet another lefty checking in! I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many lefties in one place!

I’m extremely left-handed - I write, bat, throw, golf, bowl, and everything else left-handed. Only thing I do right-handed is knit, and that’s because my mom’s a righty and she couldn’t figure out how to teach me to knit left-handed (I know a few other left-handed knitters and they all knit right-handed too).

When I eat, the fork stays in my left hand and the knife stays in my right. I’ve been told Americans switch the fork to their right hand to maneuver the food to their mouth, but Canadians don’t. Who knew fork use varied by county?

Yet another lefty checking in! I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many lefties in one place!

I’m extremely left-handed - I write, bat, throw, golf, bowl, and everything else left-handed. Only thing I do right-handed is knit, and that’s because my mom’s a righty and she couldn’t figure out how to teach me to knit left-handed (I know a few other left-handed knitters and they all knit right-handed too).

When I eat, the fork stays in my left hand and the knife stays in my right. I’ve been told Americans switch the fork to their right hand to maneuver the food to their mouth, but Canadians don’t. Who knew fork use varied by county?
Yes knittings always the one isn’t it. My mum (like a lot of folk) just can’t reverse hands to do things left handed so she showed me how to knit right handed too 😂

Back
Top Bottom