rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:44 PM
Wife wanted a cheesecake for tomorrow.

1 packet digestive biscuits
100 gms butter
1 tablespoon sugar.

Melt butter and add to the rest. Form into a pan. Fridge until next step.

4 eggs roughly beaten
1/2 cup thickened cream
1 tin condensed milk
Zest of 3 limes
Juice of 3 limes.

Mix til smooth. Add to pan. Cook at 160 for 40 mins. Mine took an extra 10.

Money shot.

Russ

image.jpeg

Wife wanted a cheesecake for tomorrow.

1 packet digestive biscuits
100 gms butter
1 tablespoon sugar.

Melt butter and add to the rest. Form into a pan. Fridge until next step.

4 eggs roughly beaten
1/2 cup thickened cream
1 tin condensed milk
Zest of 3 limes
Juice of 3 limes.

Mix til smooth. Add to pan. Cook at 160 for 40 mins. Mine took an extra 10.

Money shot.

Russ

View attachment 32018
I don't prepare many cheesecakes, I wish to give it a try soon. About the condensed milk, what do you suggest as substitute? Not a big fan of it​

I don't prepare many cheesecakes, I wish to give it a try soon. About the condensed milk, what do you suggest as substitute? Not a big fan of it​
It's not something I've made often, but I remember using cream cheese and double cream instead of condensed milk. Perhaps ricotta would work? I think cheesecake is more popular in the US, so advice from there might help. I dislike baked cheesecakes, but quite like the creamy unbaked ones when a cheese board is not an option.

It's not something I've made often, but I remember using cream cheese and double cream instead of condensed milk. Perhaps ricotta would work? I think cheesecake is more popular in the US, so advice from there might help. I dislike baked cheesecakes, but quite like the creamy unbaked ones when a cheese board is not an option.

Thank you @epicuric
Ricotta, yes, this sounds to me just perfect as substitute. Light and creamy, it should work well. At most, I was also thinking about yoghurt. Even Clotted cream, maybe....I'll be in the UK next week, I foresee to buy it a lot and experimenting with it

Last edited:
Thank you @epicuric
Ricotta, yes, this sounds to me just perfect as substitute. Light and creamy, it should work well. At most, I was also thinking about yoghurt. Even Clotted cream, maybe....I'll be in the UK next week, I foresee to buy it a lot and experimenting with it
Clotted cream - that would be unctuous! I just happen to be visiting Cornwall next week, the home of clotted cream...

I think you're right about Clotted cream as substitute. I could buy it anyway and eating it as I'm cooking though 😋
Cornwall+home of clotted cream= Rodda's ?

Never tried Rodda’s. I love clotted cream but I’m not an expert on it. Maybe unfair, but on the face of it they seem like the Bertolli of clotted cream. I am in the region at the moment so will quiz some locals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never tried Rodda’s. I love clotted cream but I’m not an expert on it. Maybe unfair, but on the face of it they seem like the Bertolli of clotted cream. I am in the region at the moment so will quiz some locals.

Not even I am an expert, far from it, but when I am in the UK I often eat Clotted cream made by Rodda's which seems to be a sort of institution - based on what I have read on the Internet. But it will certainly not be the only one!
Have a nice quiz!

By "condensed" milk, do you mean evaporated milk, which is milk that has been reduced, but is still thin and runny like milk? And, BTW, those tins are sold in 2 sizes in the US.

Or, do you mean sweetened condensed milk, which has had sugar and eggs added, and is very thick and sweet.

Before anyone makes a recommendation or decides on a substitute, really need to know which one was used (as well as which size if evap) to make an informed decision.

Back
Top Bottom