Recipe Lockhart's Potato Salad

caseydog

Local time
11:32 AM
There is a good BBQ Joint in Dallas called Lockhart's BBQ. Great brisket -- the signature meat of Texas BBQ.

Like most BBQ joints here, one of the sides is potato salad. Most places do a basic Mayo based salad, but Lockhart's takes theirs up a notch. It is mayo based, but has a kick to it. I could not get a recipe, so I played around and came up with my own.

Lockhart's Potato Salad - caseydog style
3 pounds of red potatoes -- cut into roughly same sized cubes
1 red onion -- finely diced
4 stalks celery -- sliced
3 cloves minced garlic (more if you really like garlic)
1/2 pound bacon -- cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1-1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup stone ground mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste
Hot sauce to taste (I used Frank's Red Hot, but Tabasco works, too)

Fry the bacon in a large skillet -- avoid crowding. Fry until brown, but not crunchy. You want a little bit of chew left. Move to paper towels to cool and drain.

Pour off excess bacon fat, and use the remaining fat to sweat the onion, celery and garlic just enough to bring out the sweetness, but not enough to make them too soft. Put aside.

Boil your cubed potatoes until fork tender. Drain thoroughly and allow to cool to room temperature.

Mix your mayo, mustard and spices in a large bowl, or the pot you used to boil the potatoes.

Add your cooled bacon, veggies and potatoes, and stir well. It is okay to be rough with the stirring, as a little bit of mashing is a good thing.

For best results, park your potato salad in the fridge overnight so all the flavors can get friendly. Potato salad is always better the day after you make it.

TaterSalad-10-19.jpg

CD

There is a good BBQ Joint in Dallas called Lockhart's BBQ. Great brisket -- the signature meat of Texas BBQ.

Like most BBQ joints here, one of the sides is potato salad. Most places do a basic Mayo based salad, but Lockhart's takes theirs up a notch. It is mayo based, but has a kick to it. I could not get a recipe, so I played around and came up with my own.

Lockhart's Potato Salad - caseydog style
3 pounds of red potatoes -- cut into roughly same sized cubes
1 red onion -- finely diced
4 stalks celery -- sliced
3 cloves minced garlic (more if you really like garlic)
1/2 pound bacon -- cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1-1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup stone ground mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste
Hot sauce to taste (I used Frank's Red Hot, but Tabasco works, too)

Fry the bacon in a large skillet -- avoid crowding. Fry until brown, but not crunchy. You want a little bit of chew left. Move to paper towels to cool and drain.

Pour off excess bacon fat, and use the remaining fat to sweat the onion, celery and garlic just enough to bring out the sweetness, but not enough to make them too soft. Put aside.

Boil your cubed potatoes until fork tender. Drain thoroughly and allow to cool to room temperature.

Mix your mayo, mustard and spices in a large bowl, or the pot you used to boil the potatoes.

Add your cooled bacon, veggies and potatoes, and stir well. It is okay to be rough with the stirring, as a little bit of mashing is a good thing.

For best results, park your potato salad in the fridge overnight so all the flavors can get friendly. Potato salad is always better the day after you make it.

View attachment 33349

CD
Mayo as in bests?? We get that here. Or home made ?? I use both for different things.

Russ

Looks good - I like the cayenne and the hot sauce in there. I can't do mayo (strange intolerance to it) but substitute Greek style yoghurt.

Best advice there!

Mayo as in bests?? We get that here. Or home made ?? I use both for different things.

Russ

Best mayo is fine. Any quality jarred mayo will work. I wouldn't bother with homemade for this recipe. I don't think you would notice.

CD

Last edited:
Sorry about just using Murcan measurements. I am not sure how to convert cups and teaspoons. Cups and teaspoons are volume measurements, and grams are weight measurements.

CD

Sorry about just using Murcan measurements. I am not sure how to convert cups and teaspoons. Cups and teaspoons are volume measurements, and grams are weight measurements.

CD

Its fine we are completely used to recipes in cups as well as grams - we wouldn't expect folk to convert weights & measures. There are some useful on-line calculators that can be used such as this one which can convert both ways.

Cups to Grams Converter

caseydog Lookin good. My change would be Louisiana Hot Sauce instead of Frank's or Tabasco. I find that both have too much vinegar. I keep Tabasco in the pantry for two uses - a few drops on top of a bowl of Red Beans, Sausage and Rice or a single drop on a raw oyster.
I like the addition of bacon. Yumm!

CD
CD I talk to my phone for conversions. When converting from volume measures to grams specify the product = convert 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise to grams, 1 TBSP granulated sugar to grams, 1 TBSP all purpose flour to grams. When I find a recipe with European measure I reverse the request - Grams to Tsps. TBSPS or cups.

We tried this tonight. Craig thought it was pretty darn good. I thought it was pretty good, but was just a tad spicy for me. I didn't use a whole lot of hot sauce, so would cut down a bit on the cayenne. I'd add a couple of HB eggs just for my personal taste.

Good point. People who don't like much heat may want to cut back on the cayenne. Hot sauce can always be added later if you want more heat.

CD

I plan to make a big batch of this for Labor Day Weekend, to bring to a neighbor's house for a cookout.

CD

Back
Top Bottom