Recipe Lomi Lomi Salmon

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
3:50 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
This is a very typical Hawaiian dish, served with other traditional foods, such as Kalua Pork and Poi.
Lomi Lomi in the Hawaiian language means to massage, hence combining all of the components with your fingers as if to gently massage it.
My family prefers our Lomi as we call it, to be heavier on the Salmon, we’re not big fans of Tomatoes, but it’s up to you how much or little of all of the ingredients you mix in.
I liken this dish to a Salad.

Lomi Salmon.jpg

Lomi Lomi Salmon

Ingredients:

8 oz. Salt Salmon Fillet (*see instructions below), diced into no more than ½ inch cubes
8-10 oz. Fresh Tomatoes, diced
½ - ¾ C. Sweet White Onions, diced
3-4 stalks Green Onions, thinly sliced

*Salt Salmon Ingredients:

8 oz. Boneless/skinless Salmon Fillet
4-6 Tbsp. Coarse Sea Salt

Salt Salmon Instructions:

In a sided glass dish (such as an 8x8” Casserole dish), spread out 1/4 of the Sea Salt, place the Salmon Fillet down atop the Sea Salt and cover the top and sides of the fish well with the remaining Sea Salt.
Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 days. This removes all of the moisture and cures the fish; it will be very firm.
Wash the Salt off of the Salmon and in a bowl, soak the fish in very cold water for 3-6 hours, changing the water often; covering and returning the bowl to the refrigerator between each change. Drain well, dice and set aside in a large bowl.

Lomi Lomi Salmon Instructions:

Using your fingers, gently combine the remaining ingredients with the Salmon.
Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Serve this dish very cold.
You can add a cup of shaved or well crushed Ice if serving family-style or Buffet, in order to keep the dish as cold as possible. I serve it this way with a slotted spoon.

**Cook’s Note: Any variety of Tomato will work. I use whatever I have on hand for Salads: Heirloom, San Marzano, Red, Yellow, Zebra... you get the picture, it’s what you like.

Tomatoes.jpg

Also, whenever I make Salt Salmon, I’ll cure 3-4 fillets, rinse off the Salt and then wrap them individually for the deep freeze. Then rather than waiting 4 days to make your Lomi, simply defrost the fish and mix with the rest of your ingredients. You can keep your Salt Salmon in the freezer for 9-12 months.

Back
Top Bottom