Looking for safe pan for cooking

empleat

Local time
5:00 PM
Hello,

i am switching from gas to inductive plate (elecriticty), but i don't have it yet. I will need pan compatible with both!

It incredibly hard to find healthy pan, there are no information almost no studies. I have chronic pain anyways and don't have strength to research this. SO i am asking you for help!

I don't need non-stick even it is more practical. I care mainly about health. I studied healthy lifestyle and food safety, you can't trust any corporation, it is needed to look for third part lab tests. Not sure if there are some. And I read if pan doesn't have teflon like non stick surface it should be PFAS free, but still there are so many variables to look for, one can't be fully sure! Also manufacturing process may introduce hazardous substances, even if it is claimed PFAS free etc.

Problem is nothing is 100% safe and it is needed to look on specific cases and make informed decisions, but it is hard to find any tests of specific pans. I did find none... Like for instance titanium pans "harecker pfannen" i wasn't able to find absolutely anything!
I Am looking at stainless steel currently but there are couple problems with stainless steel safety. Also I was using titanium pan so far, but it got scratched. Are titanium pans completely from titanium safe? I forget... Not sure what should I get there are so many things to consider, i absolutely don't have strength to be solving this right now.

PS: I can't buy on Amazon.

Thanks!

Hello,

i am switching from gas to inductive plate (elecriticty), but i don't have it yet. I will need pan compatible with both!

It incredibly hard to find healthy pan, there are no information almost no studies. I have chronic pain anyways and don't have strength to research this. SO i am asking you for help!

I don't need non-stick even it is more practical. I care mainly about health. I studied healthy lifestyle and food safety, you can't trust any corporation, it is needed to look for third part lab tests. Not sure if there are some. And I read if pan doesn't have teflon like non stick surface it should be PFAS free, but still there are so many variables to look for, one can't be fully sure! Also manufacturing process may introduce hazardous substances, even if it is claimed PFAS free etc.

Problem is nothing is 100% safe and it is needed to look on specific cases and make informed decisions, but it is hard to find any tests of specific pans. I did find none... Like for instance titanium pans "harecker pfannen" i wasn't able to find absolutely anything!
I Am looking at stainless steel currently but there are couple problems with stainless steel safety. Also I was using titanium pan so far, but it got scratched. Are titanium pans completely from titanium safe? I forget... Not sure what should I get there are so many things to consider, i absolutely don't have strength to be solving this right now.

PS: I can't buy on Amazon.

Thanks!

Stainless steel is about the "safest" pan you can get, and will work on gas or induction cooktops. I don't know what safety issues you are referring to with stainless, but also know that non-stick pans are safe enough if used properly. Basically, they can't be used on extreme heat.

I like "try-ply" pans, which sandwich a layer of aluminum between an outer and inner layer of stainless steel. The perform well, and are very durable.

CD

For instance chromium leaching, nickel leaching! Nothing is 100% safe! I would also like to see some third party tested pans, as manufacturers cannot be trusted!

Last edited by a moderator:

If you are moving to an induction hob you'll need pans that are magnetic or have magnetic bases, end of story. Induction hobs work by alternating the magnetic field in pan so that the heat is generated in the pan. If the pan doesn't contain a magnetic metal, it won't work on an induction hob/ring and your food won't get hot. [What is an Induction Hob and how does it work? | Bosch Home UK]

So your only decision is which stainless steel pan are you going to use (aluminium and titanium are not magnetic) assuming you don't want copper pans.

But if you are that worried about the safety of your pans, I don't understand why you are not using glass. It is the safest of all products and can be exposed to any temperature needed for cooking (assuming its cooking safe) but that won't work for an induction stove, so why are you going over to one?

For instance chromium leaching, nickel leaching! Nothing is 100% safe! I would also like to see some third party tested pans, as manufacturers cannot be trusted!

If you have access to YouTube videos from the US, there is a channel called America's Test Kitchen. They actually have videos on a number of different pans of different materials, including stainless steel. The tri-ply pans they recommend are the same ones that I use. They are not cheap, but good products generally cost more than bad products.

As for safety, the US has pretty rigid safety standards. I don't know about the Czech Republic.

Another option is ceramic coated cast iron, such as Le Creuset or Staub. Both very expensive, but also induction compatible and there is no metal to food contact.

CD

US has pretty rigid safety standards
Depends.

I would buy probably from foreign, but i don't want to give Amazon my ID... So only ebay, or else...

I need something better than youtube channel. I read on consumerreports, for instance even certified pans claiming to be free from PFAS had them! It may come to manufacturing process also! These substances don't dissolve in your body!!! I want to be like really sure sure, but i will check it out later i am busy!

So will pure titanium work on inductive, or stainless steel, or cast iron (which i have to check yet) - i am super overwhelmed right now!!!

So will pure titanium work on inductive, or stainless steel, or cast iron (which i have to check yet) - i am super overwhelmed right now!!!
As I said above titanium is not magnetic so pure titanium without the base containing any other (magnetic) metal will not work. Stainless steel or cast iron, or a titanium with a steel base will work.

If you are moving to an induction hob you'll need pans that are magnetic or have magnetic bases, end of story. Induction hobs work by alternating the magnetic field in pan so that the heat is generated in the pan. If the pan doesn't contain a magnetic metal, it won't work on an induction hob/ring and your food won't get hot.

The general rule is that a magnet should stick to at least the base for the pan to work on induction because if you follow the link I gave (which explains how induction rings work) you have to have a magnetic metal in the base of the pan for induction to work.

So your only decision is which stainless steel pan are you going to use (aluminium and titanium are not magnetic) assuming you don't want copper pans.

This should be trustworthy: The 5 Best Non-Toxic Nonstick Pans [Staff Tested] - LeafScore

Lodge Cast Iron Chef Collection Skillet

pan #4 should be PFAS, PFOE, PTFE free, what do you think?
It's cast iron so will work on the induction stove, but it will be heavy and my experience of living with chronic pain means lifting anything heavy hurts and is difficult and that's dangerous when it and it's contents are hot. Also it can't go through a dishwasher. Not an issue for me, I don't use one but is that something you need?

I had concerns about non-stick pans and got away from those years ago. I primarily use All Clad copper core and also Carbon steel drying pans. I use cast iron as well but don’t have any scratching concerns with the apartment stove I have.

I would buy probably from foreign, but i don't want to give Amazon my ID... So only ebay, or else...

I trust Amazon WAY more than eBay, which is FULL of con-artists and thieves. I don't buy or sell anything on eBay anymore.

CD

I trust Amazon WAY more than eBay, which is FULL of con-artists and thieves. I don't buy or sell anything on eBay anymore.

CD
Thankfully eBay is starting to tighten its policies. I've recently had to 'complain' about an item not received and they gave the seller 10 days to respond. The seller didn't respond, so I got my money back immediately after the time limit was up. I've still not received the item which was supposedly in Australia, so I'm guessing it either didn't exist or they never posted it.

But I agree, given the choice between Amazon and eBay, and with my experience of Amazon in the UK (it's only recently arrived in Australia) I'd chose Amazon over eBay each time. But that said I know my brother almost lives on eBay and usually buys & sells his vehicles on there.

Thankfully eBay is starting to tighten its policies. I've recently had to 'complain' about an item not received and they gave the seller 10 days to respond. The seller didn't respond, so I got my money back immediately after the time limit was up. I've still not received the item which was supposedly in Australia, so I'm guessing it either didn't exist or they never posted it.

But I agree, given the choice between Amazon and eBay, and with my experience of Amazon in the UK (it's only recently arrived in Australia) I'd chose Amazon over eBay each time. But that said I know my brother almost lives on eBay and usually buys & sells his vehicles on there.

I used to sell my old camera equipment, and a lot of other stuff, on eBay. It got to where EVERY auction I posted was won by a scammer. I always caught them, but then I had to try to close a deal with the next highest bidder, or re-list my item.

CD

I used to sell my old camera equipment, and a lot of other stuff, on eBay. It got to where EVERY auction I posted was won by a scammer. I always caught them, but then I had to try to close a deal with the next highest bidder, or re-list my item.

CD
Little bit of a sidestep to this conversation but related - I use to work as a counterfeit investigator for a large tech company here in the Bay Area. I worked closely with customs officials globally as they seized shipments of fake goods branded as ours and other big name companies. One of my jobs was to go onto EBay, Amazon Alibaba and many general websites and identify fake goods and yank the auctions or ads. EBay was a BIG one! Full of scammers selling fake goods or as I learned it was also full of people grabbing your money and not delivering the goods. There were times I would go on Ebay and find a seller with multiple usernames and could and have easily pulled thousands of listings in a single go.

Problem was eBay talks a good talk but they are getting paid for the listings up front, even if they don’t sell, so they are making money either way. But as I got good at identifying fraudulent auctions for my former company I also got good at identifying others companies products and believe me, there was a bunch on there!

Ebay has gotten really bad over the years managing this sort of thing but at least you can get refunds now if duped. Amazon is a much safer bet IMO.

I was hoping for some help on point. Problem is they told me they abide my some regulatory standards and they are tested by third party labs, but didn't say which and didn't provide any certificate - that's weird why would they hide it. It is in their interest to show certificates...

Leafscore com says this:
California Prop 65
US FDA certified for 7.5.1.4a Leachability of Lead and Cadmium for Glazed Ceramic Surfaces
Lodge also claim that their silicone products are certified by suppliers to be both BPA(Bisphenol A) and Phthalate free, although they don’t provide a certificate for this.
As some Lodge enamel-coated products are made in China, the company says that they “work with U.S. owned third-party inspection teams to ensure that quality is up to Lodge standards, and that all partner companies comply with all applicable employment laws and regulations”.
But I don't know if that is enough.

Back
Top Bottom