Lost in Translation: How Dishes Evolve

😂He Man? No idea, but will find out.😂

How fascinating! There is my new conversation starter, hopefully I will not be knocked out, How do you like your milk in the tea🤩 Definitely I would vote for the tea first, tea IS the main drink after all, milk just a few drops... This is so much fun, and you learn a lot! Thank you! May I ask which tea blend for breakfast?
He Man

I adore such stories. You might have written it before, but if you don't mind repeating ,what is the traditional American breakfast? It changes over time too, so your Grandma's breakfast might not be your Mom's or your wife's...generationally, economically circumstances were different...the daily physical requirements were possibly different too, working on a farm 5am to 5pm is vastly different from a sitting say office job etc...
Ok, there isn't really a standard "Full American Breakfast," as hard as I've tried to get one established.

However, if you go to a typical American diner, there will be different breakfasts offered as specials, and if you have a light appetite, you might choose one egg and two strips of bacon and toast. If you're a little hungrier, you might add hash browns/home fries/fried potatoes, and on and on, until you get to the total package, which would likely be two eggs any way you like, meat (bacon, ham, or sausage - links or patties), the potatoes, toast or biscuits (and I don't mean cookies) and gravy, and a short stack of pancakes.

That last breakfast will usually have a name like Big Bubba's Belly Buster. :wink:

For me personally, I did recently post what I grew up with for breakfast every day, because I grew up on a farm, where we raised nearly all our own food:

Eggs, fried or scrambled
Bacon and sausage (patties)
(American) Biscuits and gravy
Fried potatoes
Sliced tomatoes (in season)
Sliced raw onion
Fruit pie

Occasionally, it would also include pancakes and anything left over from the night before, like fried chicken.

Nowadays, I have cereal Mon-Fri, and save the weekends for my cooked breakfasts.

That would vary depending on the region. In the Northern states Cream of Wheat is very popular (I have never had it)
We both love Cream Of Wheat here. Usually, one weekend day is an egg breakfast, and the other alternated between some kind of syrup-based breakfast and a hot cereal-based breakfast, with those two choices being Cream Of Wheat and steel-cut oats.

Or waffles with syrup, waffles with strawberries and whipped cream, waffles flavored with things like chocolate chips, nuts, bacon, cheese, etc. Fried chicken and waffles.

Then you have pancakes, plain, flavored with various things like blueberries, chocolate chips, nuts, bacon, etc. I've seen one place that puts down pancake batter, slices of hot dog, cold mac and cheese, then more cheese, then flips, creating a fried cheese effect. There's another place we used to go that had a flavor of the week pancake. My favorite was tres leches, but the Oreo one was pretty good as well. They made them up all kinds of ways. The pancakes (3) were as big as a dinner plate. I usually came home with half of mine.

We both love Cream Of Wheat here. Usually, one weekend day is an egg breakfast, and the other alternated between some kind of syrup-based breakfast and a hot cereal-based breakfast, with those two choices being Cream Of Wheat and steel-cut oats.
Yes, I wasn't transplanted to the NE US until 22 years ago, so I never had Cream of Wheat. My husband's family didn't eat it so still haven't tried it. No one in my family really like grits all that much, except for cheese grits with catfish for a lunch or dinner entree. I like oats with milk and fruit in the winter occasionally. We eat pancakes with honey and fruit maybe once a month. But sometimes I eat whatever it was we had for dinner the night before, LOL. I have been known to eat pizza or spaghetti at 8 a.m. on occasion. This morning it was bagels with cream cheese, capers, red onion, and lemon-pepper dill seasoned salmon (leftover from dinner last night).

I have no objection to a bottle of brown sauce on the cafe table, because the common people can't resist applying it to their food. At least then you know who they are and can avoid accidentally talking to them :D

Sorry...I was referring to the hash browns. Maybe something was lost in translation here, too? :laugh:

I had some excellent rosti when I was on holiday in Switzerland, I tried to do it myself and it wasn't nearly as good. Perhaps I'm missing a trick, or just have a poor recipe.

They are basically grated raw potatoes fried with lots of butter before, during and after cooking. You can also add whatever you want, I often add onion and/or diced pancetta (I made the Italian version). Or you can boil potatoes first, then grate them and as above, adding butter before, during and after cooking.

Indeed yes😂, how kind of you!

look what I found, considerably darker and shinier😂...but I assume one gets to know the exact taste nuance...and the desired quantity...I just loved your reply that much, I screenshoted it and sent it to my boyfriend. He pacified immediately. 😁😄(And he trained as for MMA for a good number if years, and would not pick a fight lightly, as some if his current problems stem also from that)...

Back
Top Bottom