Lost in Translation: How Dishes Evolve

They are basically grated raw potatoes fried with lots of butter before, during and after cooking. You can also add whatever you want, I often add onion and/or diced pancetta (I made the Italian version). Or you can boil potatoes first, then grate them and as above, adding butter before, during and after cooking.
The one I tried was supposed to be a traditional recipe where you boil the potatoes in their skins then let them firm up overnight, grating them the following day before frying with a little onion.

Perhaps I need to experiment more.

Indeed yes😂, how kind of you! View attachment 59028

look what I found, considerably darker and shinier😂...but I assume one gets to know the exact taste nuance...and the desired quantity...I just loved your reply that much, I screenshoted it and sent it to my boyfriend. He pacified immediately. 😁😄(And he trained as for MMA for a good number if years, and would not pick a fight lightly, as some if his current problems stem also from that)...

*swoon*

Ok, there isn't really a standard "Full American Breakfast," as hard as I've tried to get one established.

However, if you go to a typical American diner, there will be different breakfasts offered as specials, and if you have a light appetite, you might choose one egg and two strips of bacon and toast. If you're a little hungrier, you might add hash browns/home fries/fried potatoes, and on and on, until you get to the total package, which would likely be two eggs any way you like, meat (bacon, ham, or sausage - links or patties), the potatoes, toast or biscuits (and I don't mean cookies) and gravy, and a short stack of pancakes.

That last breakfast will usually have a name like Big Bubba's Belly Buster. :wink:

For me personally, I did recently post what I grew up with for breakfast every day, because I grew up on a farm, where we raised nearly all our own food:

Eggs, fried or scrambled
Bacon and sausage (patties)
(American) Biscuits and gravy
Fried potatoes
Sliced tomatoes (in season)
Sliced raw onion
Fruit pie

Occasionally, it would also include pancakes and anything left over from the night before, like fried chicken.

Nowadays, I have cereal Mon-Fri, and save the weekends for my cooked breakfasts.
That is so interesting! Thank you so much!I am very intrigued by the morning buiscits and gravy. I just bought buckwhat flour today will have a take on a recipe this weekend hopefully...
I grew up in a mix of Bulgarian and Croatian culture. My Zagreb breakfast as a kid was slices of bread with salami and/or cheese and a glass of milk. If Grandma baked simple cake the day before, then a piece plus a glass of milk. My vacation day in Bulgaria would most likely have greek style yoghurt instead of milk and a sandwich, or a traditional Banitsa, pastry with cheese.

Croatia is tiny, but there are regions and specific foods. E.g. in Zagorje the beginning of 20 th century farm breakfast would be polenta with milk, or Zlevanka, a simple corn flour cake with or without cheese. Zlevanka can vary and be with apples etc...

In Slavonija probably dried sausages...like kulen and kulenova seka...

The one I tried was supposed to be a traditional recipe where you boil the potatoes in their skins then let them firm up overnight, grating them the following day before frying with a little onion.

Perhaps I need to experiment more.

Ah interesting, I didn't know to let them firm up overnight. I boil them and let them to cool down a bit but in the same day.
The addition of onion is very used here too to Rosti, the Italian version is from Trentino and is called Frico.
But basically the original Swiss recipe says the potatoes have to be raw 🤷‍♀️

That is so interesting! Thank you so much!I am very intrigued by the morning buiscits and gravy. I just bought buckwhat flour today will have a take on a recipe this weekend hopefully...
I grew up in a mix of Bulgarian and Croatian culture. My Zagreb breakfast as a kid was slices of bread with salami and/or cheese and a glass of milk. If Grandma baked simple cake the day before, then a piece plus a glass of milk. My vacation day in Bulgaria would most likely have greek style yoghurt instead of milk and a sandwich, or a traditional Banitsa, pastry with cheese.

Croatia is tiny, but there are regions and specific foods. E.g. in Zagorje the beginning of 20 th century farm breakfast would be polenta with milk, or Zlevanka, a simple corn flour cake with or without cheese. Zlevanka can vary and be with apples etc...

In Slavonija probably dried sausages...like kulen and kulenova seka...View attachment 59033
I am not sure buckwheat flour would make a good American biscuit? I think it would be dense instead of light and fluffy. Is there a reason you would prefer buckwheat flour over regular all purpose or self-rising?

I am not sure buckwheat flour would make a good American biscuit? I think it would be dense instead of light and fluffy. Is there a reason you would prefer buckwheat flour over regular all purpose or self-rising?

Yes, I would never make a buckwheat biscuit, AP or self rising only. I believe buckwheat flour is used traditionally to make blinis. I made some for us once or twice, so I have a partial bag of buckwheat in the freezer. Don't remember if I have used it for anything else.

Good that you mentioned it. I am very green in cooking, But open to learning and experimenting. Yes, I read buckwheat is not really a grain, but an edible seed, and I should avoid as much carbs as possible. Should. However, I can eat carbs now and then and then balance it out with proteins and veggies. So, you are right, the recipe should be followed, does it have to be white wheat flour? I just came home from work and was just about to look through the recipes...is there a buiscuit recipe here you recommend?

Good that you mentioned it. I am very green in cooking, But open to learning and experimenting. Yes, I read buckwheat is not really a grain, but an edible seed, and I should avoid as much carbs as possible. Should. However, I can eat carbs now and then and then balance it out with proteins and veggies. So, you are right, the recipe should be followed, does it have to be white wheat flour? I just came home from work and was just about to look through the recipes...is there a buiscuit recipe here you recommend?
I get why you want to try to eat more healthy and that is why you chose buckwheat flour, but it's sort of like drinking a diet soda with a big greasy cheeseburger, fries (or chips), and then a big chunk of cake or pie for dessert :laugh: The diet soda is not going to help cut back on the calories (much).

There is nothing healthy about biscuits and sausage gravy! So yes, it should be white wheat flour. It would be best to just cut the recipe down so you aren't tempted to eat the whole batch of biscuits (because they are that good).

I kind of just wing it, I don't really use a recipe anymore I have been making them for so long. They are simple to make. And sometimes I cheat and use a baking mix. I like using buttermilk for my biscuits most of the time, I think it's tastier.

This one below looks pretty good and is similar to how I make them (you might have to figure out the conversions):

Chef John's Buttermilk Biscuits

Chef John uses a pastry blender. It's not necessary, I don't use one, I just stir the ingredients with a fork or spoon. Some people do "drop" biscuits and don't roll them out. It doesn't change the flavor. TastyReuben has cookbooks, he might have a good recipe to share.

Yes, I would never make a buckwheat biscuit, AP or self rising only. I believe buckwheat flour is used traditionally to make blinis. I made some for us once or twice, so I have a partial bag of buckwheat in the freezer. Don't remember if I have used it for anything else.
Thank you. Ok, I will look for AP flour, I think I might have some left...we have the 'oštro' (rough) and "glatko"(smooth) flour kinds...I have too little of baking experience to know which is better for which, but as JAS_OH1 said buiscits should be fluffy, Probably the smooth one...
Generally I am very happy to see the variety of flours offered nowadays...I am just finishing the rye flour pack...it does not bake easily though...I am happy to learn more as I bake more...

Blinis is a great idea! Will do next week probably...

Alton Brown makes a good biscuit. My DH makes biscuits with this recipe.

Carla Hall has a good recipe. It's the 1 I've been using of late. I like grating the frozen butter into the flour.

There are a few other members on here who make biscuits so hopefully they'll provide links as well.

Thank you. Ok, I will look for AP flour, I think I might have some left...we have the 'oštro' (rough) and "glatko"(smooth) flour kinds...I have too little of baking experience to know which is better for which, but as JAS_OH1 said buiscits should be fluffy, Probably the smooth one...
Generally I am very happy to see the variety of flours offered nowadays...I am just finishing the rye flour pack...it does not bake easily though...I am happy to learn more as I bake more...

Blinis is a great idea! Will do next week probably...

Yes, AP flour and self-rising flour are both smooth and fine flours.

I get why you want to try to eat more healthy and that is why you chose buckwheat flour, but it's sort of like drinking a diet soda with a big greasy cheeseburger, fries (or chips), and then a big chunk of cake or pie for dessert :laugh: The diet soda is not going to help cut back on the calories (much).

There is nothing healthy about biscuits and sausage gravy! So yes, it should be white wheat flour. It would be best to just cut the recipe down so you aren't tempted to eat the whole batch of biscuits (because they are that good).

I kind of just wing it, I don't really use a recipe anymore I have been making them for so long. They are simple to make. And sometimes I cheat and use a baking mix. I like using buttermilk for my biscuits most of the time, I think it's tastier.

This one below looks pretty good and is similar to how I make them (you might have to figure out the conversions):

Chef John's Buttermilk Biscuits

Chef John uses a pastry blender. It's not necessary, I don't use one, I just stir the ingredients with a fork or spoon. Some people do "drop" biscuits and don't roll them out. It doesn't change the flavor. TastyReuben has cookbooks, he might have a good recipe to share.
Thank you so much. I might bake them for my kid and my parents, and thus diminish the quantity I would eat😁...

Oooh ok, I get it now, you are right, good comparison!😂

I am very sure they are delicious. I can't wait to get on with making them.

Thank you so much. I might bake them for my kid and my parents, and thus diminish the quantity I would eat😁...

Oooh ok, I get it now, you are right, good comparison!😂

I am very sure they are delicious. I can't wait to get on with making them.
Yes, they make a nice addition to a dinner meal, you don't have to make them for breakfast with gravy. I sometimes just eat a biscuit with some butter alone or (butter and strawberry jam) for a snack.

Alton Brown makes a good biscuit. My DH makes biscuits with this recipe.

Carla Hall has a good recipe. It's the 1 I've been using of late. I like grating the frozen butter into the flour.

There are a few other members on here who make biscuits so hopefully they'll provide links as well.
Wonderful! Thank you! I will take a look at all three recipes and see what might be the easiest for my level. Or will just go bold and have a take at the most difficult one😄

Wonderful! Thank you! I will take a look at all three recipes and see what might be the easiest for my level. Or will just go bold and have a take at the most difficult one😄
They look about the same except Chef John uses butter and the other two use shortening.

Back
Top Bottom