Lost in Translation: How Dishes Evolve

Talk about evolving, if you order tea in a restaurant in the US Deep South, you will get iced tea. The sever will probably ask, "Sweet or Unsweetened?" If not, it will automatically be "Sweet Tea," which means enough sugar to make your teeth hurt.
I'll drink that as well.

If you order hot tea, you'll get a Lipton tea bag and a coffee mug full of hot water.
...and that's why I order coffee when we go out for breakfast. You found the one example where I won't drink the tea that's offered.

I had a chat after lunch with an Italian chef who lives in London (ah! envy) and he was telling me that actually spaghetti with meatballs (he referred to the big ones) are not American or Italian-American, but a recipe from Abruzzo. Obviously I greeted this news with great astonishment but also with some scepticism, since yes, meatballs as we know them here are both small and large, but in pasta whatever it is especially in lasagna or baked pasta, the meatballs added are the small ones, because the larger meatballs would be set aside to be eaten as a second course.
It was interesting to have a confrontation with him and in the end we agreed that in Italy, whether you go to someone's house or to a restaurant or trattoria, you will never find spaghetti with meatballs (not even the small ones), but you will definitely find spaghetti with simple tomato sauce or ragù.

Last edited:
I think everything started with cavepeople, and everything else is just an evolution.

Whomever feels like the created the first barbecue, there's Og back in 10,000BC thinking, "Gurr ugga ugga hurump," which loosely translates to, "We used to take wooly mammoth steaks, cook them over a fire, and rub a paste of berries and edible herbs over them, but yeah, go ahead and tell yourself you created barbecue." :)

I think everything started with cavepeople, and everything else is just an evolution.

Whomever feels like the created the first barbecue, there's Og back in 10,000BC thinking, "Gurr ugga ugga hurump," which loosely translates to, "We used to take wooly mammoth steaks, cook them over a fire, and rub a paste of berries and edible herbs over them, but yeah, go ahead and tell yourself you created barbecue." :)
So do you think sometimes they rubbed inedible herbs on them?

You are in the wrong business dude. ;-)

I had a chat after lunch with an Italian chef who lives in London (ah! envy) and he was telling me that actually spaghetti with meatballs (he referred to the big ones) are not American or Italian-American, but a recipe from Abruzzo. Obviously I greeted this news with great astonishment but also with some scepticism, since yes, meatballs as we know them here are both small and large, but in pasta whatever it is especially in lasagna or baked pasta, the meatballs added are the small ones, because the larger meatballs would be set aside to be eaten as a second course.
It was interesting to have a confrontation with him and in the end we agreed that in Italy, whether you go to someone's house or to a restaurant or trattoria, you will never find spaghetti with meatballs (not even the small ones), but you will definitely find spaghetti with simple tomato sauce or ragù.
Interesting! And the famous ragú bolognese? I just speed read over an article, which says it requires milk in it? And that there is only one original recipe for ragú bolognese...the ingredients being:
300 g mljevene junetine/ minced beef
300 g pasirane rajčice/tomato puree
150 g slanine/bacon
50 g mrkve/carrot
50 g celera stabljikaša/celery
50 g luka/onion
½ čaše bijelog suhog vina /dry white wine
½ čaše punomasnog mlijeka/ full fat milk
3 žlice maslinova ulja ili 50 g maslaca/olive oil or butter
sol i papar prema ukusu/salt and pepper
mesni temeljac po potrebi/beef stock accordingly....

Yeah, early on, some of them did. Og's neighbor Grunk used a nice mix of hemlock and deadly nightshade, which is why Grunk's family line died out and Og's family line eventually beget Guy Fieri. :laugh:
I always thought Guy had a Neanderthal look about him. He looks like he could be a descendant of Og.

1615667545291.png

But she is making biscuits.

I too ate Buckwheat pancakes. Once. One of my sisters-in-law made me some. They were dense and hard,, like hockey pucks. I drowned them in butter and syrup to get them down.

I know she is making biscuits. The pancakes were a suggestion for another use of buckwheat flour.

Sounds like you SIL did it wrong. I find buckwheat pancakes to be quite good.

CD

I know she is making biscuits. The pancakes were a suggestion for another use of buckwheat flour.

Sounds like you SIL did it wrong. I find buckwheat pancakes to be quite good.

CD
She did graduate from culinary school...but perhaps they didn't cover pancakes in the course.

Back
Top Bottom