Lost in Translation: How Dishes Evolve

I am very glad there was no fire. It sounds a bit messy, though.

I read a news article where George Clooney said his wife Amal cannot cook, one day she went to make hard boiled eggs in the shell but did not put any water in the pan, LOL. He stopped her in time. I guess she did not know what "boil" means. He said her idea of cooking is making dinner reservations. I guess he does all the cooking!
Yeah, me too, glad no fire broke out, I guess the induction keeps it on and off enough to not overheat I suppose, and there was no oil of course to catch fire...yeah, it was messy, but it did not take more than 15 minutes to clean...my heart was messier out of fear and panic...

Try Julia Childs' way. Put large eggs in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, then turn the heat off. Let them sit for the appropriate amount of time, then drain, roll the eggs around in the pan to crack the shells really well, fill pan with cold tap water and let sit until cool, then peel. The water will seep into the cracked shells and make them easier to peel.

I let them sit for 9 to 10 minutes and get a soft but solid yolk. 12 minutes gets a fully cooked yolk. 5-6 minutes gets a slightly runny yolk.
I am willing to try that! Saves on electricity as well. What I did prior was to always let them cool down in cold water, and then, knock with the eggs on any hard surface thoroughly, and as Jamie Oliver advise, rolled with the palm of my hand onto the surface, so that they peel easier, but Julia Child's way is also interesting! I like new ideas! Suh precise timing, love it. Yes, I do mine 8-9 minutes...Thank you!

I am willing to try that! Saves on electricity as well. What I did prior was to always let them cool down in cold water, and then, knock with the eggs on any hard surface thoroughly, and as Jamie Oliver advise, rolled with the palm of my hand onto the surface, so that they peel easier, but Julia Child's way is also interesting! I like new ideas! Suh precise timing, love it. Yes, I do mine 8-9 minutes...Thank you!
My husband is very particular about how he likes his boiled eggs, he likes the yolks a little runny or if solid, they must be jelly-like. He does not like them light yellow and "chalky" as he describes it. He has no idea how to do this himself, though, LOL! If I were to leave town and had raw eggs in the refrigerator, they would likely still be there upon my return home :laugh:

Thank you so much! Lovely, I will! So should I do half butter half shortening? I did not use the whole amount of milk/cream, so even less...ok! I ate with the butter on top:roflmao:, did not think of smearing all of them...will do however, thanks for the tips!

I really like Carla's biscuits and I think it was 8 Tbsp butter with 2 Tbsp shortening. Just in case, you do know it's solid shortening like Crisco, which I don't know if you guys have or not. You can also use lard, which is what my grandmother used. She made the best biscuits ever, but none of her daughters or us granddaughters could ever get them like hers. Course she made them every day of her life, sometimes twice a day, once she started cooking as she was the daughter of a farmer and married a farmer.

I really like Carla's biscuits and I think it was 8 Tbsp butter with 2 Tbsp shortening. Just in case, you do know it's solid shortening like Crisco, which I don't know if you guys have or not. You can also use lard, which is what my grandmother used. She made the best biscuits ever, but none of her daughters or us granddaughters could ever get them like hers. Course she made them every day of her life, sometimes twice a day, once she started cooking as she was the daughter of a farmer and married a farmer.
Ok, lovely, I will go with that then. I wasn't quite sure how to measure 8 Tbsp at a solid block of butter, so I eyemeasured it imagining spoons on the package:roflmao:...and it came to half a package, i.e. 125 g. Lard is a miracle, it is a pitty it faded away from use...but I see it at the shops...we have a variety of shortenings, for baking, for creams, solid would mean a higher fat percentage? I will have a more detailed look a t my next grocery shopping...I am sure to find an adequate one. Oh that sounds like the hard life at a farm! It is the practice, it really is. Amazing! Thank you for sharing! I explained to my daughter once why Grandmas cook so well, because they've done it a thousand times...

Ok, lovely, I will go with that then. I wasn't quite sure how to measure 8 Tbsp at a solid block of butter, so I eyemeasured it imagining spoons on the package:roflmao:...and it came to half a package, i.e. 125 g. Lard is a miracle, it is a pitty it faded away from use...but I see it at the shops...we have a variety of shortenings, for baking, for creams, solid would mean a higher fat percentage? I will have a more detailed look a t my next grocery shopping...I am sure to find an adequate one. Oh that sounds like the hard life at a farm! It is the practice, it really is. Amazing! Thank you for sharing! I explained to my daughter once why Grandmas cook so well, because they've done it a thousand times...

8 Tbsp is 1/2 cup so you can use a solid measuring cup (do you know there is a difference between liquid and solid measuring cups?) by letting the butter sit out and soften, and then freeze. You can also simply use a tablespoon measure. I would do it night before for breakfast or early in day if for dinner.

Interesting! And the famous ragú bolognese? I just speed read over an article, which says it requires milk in it? And that there is only one original recipe for ragú bolognese...the ingredients being:
300 g mljevene junetine/ minced beef
300 g pasirane rajčice/tomato puree
150 g slanine/bacon
50 g mrkve/carrot
50 g celera stabljikaša/celery
50 g luka/onion
½ čaše bijelog suhog vina /dry white wine
½ čaše punomasnog mlijeka/ full fat milk
3 žlice maslinova ulja ili 50 g maslaca/olive oil or butter
sol i papar prema ukusu/salt and pepper
mesni temeljac po potrebi/beef stock accordingly....

Oh sorry, I missed your post!

Yep, milk in it the Bolognese Ragù is required as tradition says, and it works fine :), althought not many people put milk in BR. My mom doesn't put it for example, I do it instead, it's a habit.
About wine wine there is a 50%-50%, I mean that white wine works fine, but the red one is better

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I missed your post!

Yesp, milk in it the Bolognese Ragù is required as tradition says, and it works fine :), althought not many people put milk in BR. My mom doesn't put it for example, I do it instead, it's a habit.
About wine wine there is a 50%-50%, I mean that white wine works fine, but the red one is better
Really, wow! That is interesting. I have to try it with milk once...

No worries, I miss posts too. Thank you so much! I am trying to remember how to say Have a nice evening in Italian...hmmm...Bouna giornata is for the day...a! Bouna serrata?

Really, wow! That is interesting. I have to try it with milk once...

No worries, I miss posts too. Thank you so much! I am trying to remember how to say Have a nice evening in Italian...hmmm...Bouna giornata is for the day...a! Bouna serrata?

Ah “Buona serata” yes, you are good! Thank you and buona serata to you too
The only word I know (and not very well) in your language is Chevapcici which I had when I have been to Croatia many years ago. I still remember them, how good.
For par condicio, how is have a nice evening in Croatian?

The only time I have a full English is when staying at a/n hotel.

Otherwise it's just coffee or if I have time a Weetabix or something similar.

No milk or sugar in my coffee.

Dash of milk in my tea and I leave the tea bag in the cup, or if using my tea pig I leave that in.

Also, as far as the way dishes evolve, I've often read that Britain's colonial past was responsible for many dishes. Some of the dishes that are thought of as 'Indian' in nature are dishes adapted to British palettes by Indian chefs.

Have also read that the great British Chippy is Jewish in tradition, so we can thank Jewish immigrants for being able to say "Cod and chips twice please with some batter bits."

I am very glad there was no fire. It sounds a bit messy, though.

I read a news article where George Clooney said his wife Amal cannot cook, one day she went to make hard boiled eggs in the shell but did not put any water in the pan, LOL. He stopped her in time. I guess she did not know what "boil" means. He said her idea of cooking is making dinner reservations. I guess he does all the cooking!
My wife may be related to her. Lol.

Russ

Isn't it funny how we've gotten lazy compared to our nanas etc, mine was always cooking, as you say two times a day. My mum was the same with three boys to feed she was always baking. I don't bake at all,unless the grandkids want me too. We really have it easy.!

Russ

Isn't it funny how we've gotten lazy compared to our nanas etc, mine was always cooking, as you say two times a day. My mum was the same with three boys to feed she was always baking. I don't bake at all,unless the grandkids want me too. We really have it easy.!

Russ
Growing up, cooking was pretty much nonstop for my mom, starting at around 5:30AM and serving the last meal around 6PM, though she'd frequently make a pie or cake after that.

One person cooking for 8-10 people, I'd watch her just get the breakfast dishes washed, then not even break her stride to get the next meal going. Never stopped.

Back
Top Bottom