Lost in Translation: How Dishes Evolve

Here's today's tea method, presented in two parts:

View: https://youtu.be/Lrp3ba6nP_I

View: https://youtu.be/CvaCThPA90A

This is also known as the "Can't Be Arsed To Make A Proper Cuppa" method, brought to you by the diabolical invention of Daylight Savings Time, which has put me behind this morning, as it always does. 😠
I like the tea and coffee station you have there, with the brown sugar (assumably) in that nice jar and the spoons, and the little teapot pad -I have a similar one in white colour! The Daylight Savings Time today? Yeah...not a pleasant thing...we will have it on March 28th. Supposedly the EU countries should unite what they want to keep, winter or summer time...I haven't seen it in the media lately, so we shall see...
I am just having my third cup of coffee today...a normal occurance in the last year or so :hyper::D

Yes, I would never make a buckwheat biscuit, AP or self rising only. I believe buckwheat flour is used traditionally to make blinis. I made some for us once or twice, so I have a partial bag of buckwheat in the freezer. Don't remember if I have used it for anything else.
Made the biscuits today ! I used Carla Hall's recipe, but with butter as in Chef John's recipe. And buttermilk was substituted with milk and cream, as it suggests.

I had handwritten the translation into a notebook and had it on the kitchen table. Just a beginner safety net. :DThe buttery smell at the end of bake was very pleasant. I am very happy how they turned out. Must admit, was nervous to how the whole would come together, I have honestly always avoided the butter into flour methods, but it worked out! I put the dry ingredients together with a spoon, with caffeinated energy, and a part of the flour jumped off and flew into the salt cup...They are really soft and delicious. Actuall they are easy to make. Two batches with 18 biscuits. The lower baking try is the beuatiful Bristol one I was gifted many years ago, I mentioned it to MorningGlory... I ate 2 immediately. I love them, I put a little leftover butter on top, mm! Left 4 for the kid and brought the rest, still warm, to my parents.
Thank you JAS_OH1 , medtran49 and caseydog and TastyReuben , without your support I would have never tried!
What do you think?

Made the biscuits today ! I used Carla Hall's recipe, but with butter as in Chef John's recipe. And buttermilk was substituted with milk and cream, as it suggests. View attachment 59153

I had handwritten the translation into a notebook and had it on the kitchen table. Just a beginner safety net. :DThe buttery smell at the end of bake was very pleasant. I am very happy how they turned out. Must admit, was nervous to how the whole would come together, I have honestly always avoided the butter into flour methods, but it worked out! I put the dry ingredients together with a spoon, with caffeinated energy, and a part of the flour jumped off and flew into the salt cup...They are really soft and delicious. Actuall they are easy to make. Two batches with 18 biscuits. The lower baking try is the beuatiful Bristol one I was gifted many years ago, I mentioned it to MorningGlory... I ate 2 immediately. I love them, I put a little leftover butter on top, mm! Left 4 for the kid and brought the rest, still warm, to my parents.
Thank you JAS_OH1 , medtran49 and caseydog and TastyReuben , without your support I would have never tried!
What do you think?View attachment 59154

View attachment 59155

View attachment 59156

View attachment 59157
They look super delicious, great job! I think the first couple of times I made biscuits many years ago, mine did not look as good as yours do, LOL!

They look super delicious, great job! I think the first couple of times I made biscuits many years ago, mine did not look as good as yours do, LOL!
Oh thank you! That is such a sweet thing to say!🌠 I am sure yours tasted very good though!

You just reminded my of my first pancakes, back when I was a teen child, they were all torn apart LOL...

Oh thank you! That is such a sweet thing to say!🌠 I am sure yours tasted very good though!

You just reminded my of my first pancakes, back when I was a teen child, they were all torn apart LOL...
I remember when my stepdaughters made me pancakes for Mother's Day and served me breakfast in bed, LOL. They were 8, 10, and 12 at the time. They did their best, but didn't understand that "1 cup" was an actual measurement of a measuring cup and instead used a drinking cup (was probably closer to 2 cups), so the pancakes were a little on the thin side, LOL. Oh funny memories.

I remember when my stepdaughters made me pancakes for Mother's Day and served me breakfast in bed, LOL. They were 8, 10, and 12 at the time. They did their best, but didn't understand that "1 cup" was an actual measurement of a measuring cup and instead used a drinking cup (was probably closer to 2 cups), so the pancakes were a little on the thin side, LOL. Oh funny memories.
I love the story! The children's minds at certain ages...that was so caring of them though. But even for us adults, crazy things happen...like 2 weeks ago I put 3 eggs to boil and forgot that I did, went for a jogg. Came back 90 minutes later, but remembered them 10 min prior to turning to my street. Oh my...I peeked and though if there are no firemen, I'm good. None. Whew, ok. If there is no smoke out of the building door, I'm good. None. OK. It stank, and the two eggs were completely burned black. And the third one exploded. All over the kitchen. Literally I found a crumb of the yolk at 120 cm height on the wall above the dishwasher...all over the floor...I cleaned it out, aired the stairway and am very careful now when putting eggs to boil. LOL

Made the biscuits today ! I used Carla Hall's recipe, but with butter as in Chef John's recipe. And buttermilk was substituted with milk and cream, as it suggests. View attachment 59153

What do you think?View attachment 59154

View attachment 59155

View attachment 59156

View attachment 59157

Brava :thumbsup:

I love the story! The children's minds at certain ages...that was so caring of them though. But even for us adults, crazy things happen...like 2 weeks ago I put 3 eggs to boil and forgot that I did, went for a jogg. Came back 90 minutes later, but remembered them 10 min prior to turning to my street. Oh my...I peeked and though if there are no firemen, I'm good. None. Whew, ok. If there is no smoke out of the building door, I'm good. None. OK. It stank, and the two eggs were completely burned black. And the third one exploded. All over the kitchen. Literally I found a crumb of the yolk at 120 cm height on the wall above the dishwasher...all over the floor...I cleaned it out, aired the stairway and am very careful now when putting eggs to boil. LOL
I am very glad there was no fire. It sounds a bit messy, though.

I read a news article where George Clooney said his wife Amal cannot cook, one day she went to make hard boiled eggs in the shell but did not put any water in the pan, LOL. He stopped her in time. I guess she did not know what "boil" means. He said her idea of cooking is making dinner reservations. I guess he does all the cooking!

Try Julia Childs' way. Put large eggs in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, then turn the heat off. Let them sit for the appropriate amount of time, then drain, roll the eggs around in the pan to crack the shells really well, fill pan with cold tap water and let sit until cool, then peel. The water will seep into the cracked shells and make them easier to peel.

I let them sit for 9 to 10 minutes and get a soft but solid yolk. 12 minutes gets a fully cooked yolk. 5-6 minutes gets a slightly runny yolk.

Made the biscuits today ! I used Carla Hall's recipe, but with butter as in Chef John's recipe. And buttermilk was substituted with milk and cream, as it suggests.

What do you think?

They look great! The shortening makes them flakier, that's why it is used in addition to the butter. Next time, try using a little thicker dough and brush some melted butter on the tops right after removing from the oven, makes them prettier.

So a friend of my husband's mom makes really great chicken paprikash. Her grandmother was from Hungary and she says it's authentic. I wonder if it's very different from the original? I have the recipe written down somewhere, I might have to give it a whirl sometime soon.

They look great! The shortening makes them flakier, that's why it is used in addition to the butter. Next time, try using a little thicker dough and brush some melted butter on the tops right after removing from the oven, makes them prettier.
Thank you so much! Lovely, I will! So should I do half butter half shortening? I did not use the whole amount of milk/cream, so even less...ok! I ate with the butter on top:roflmao:, did not think of smearing all of them...will do however, thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom