Recipe Low Calorie Cauliflower Soup

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:35 AM
Don't throw away the trimmings from that cauliflower - the leaves and stalks make a fantastic low calorie soup. My guess is that the calories are approximately 40 cals per small bowl. I should have weighed the trimmings.

fullsizeoutput_320b.jpeg

Ingredients (makes 2 small bowls of soup)
  • Leaves and stalks from a medium cauliflower
  • 3 fat cloves of garlic, peeled
  • A bunch of thyme
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • Salt to taste
  • Cream or yoghurt to drizzle
  • A few drops of chilli oil
  • A few chilli flakes
Method
  1. Chop the cauliflower trimmings into bite sizes pieces.
  2. Place in a saucepan with the garlic cloves and thyme.
  3. Cover with boiling water and simmer until the stalks and garlic cloves are tender.
  4. Add more water if it reduces too much. You want the finished level of water to just cover the cauliflower.
  5. Remove the bunch of thyme and blitz the contents of the saucepan (I used a hand blender).
  6. Add salt to taste and serve drizzled with a scant 1/2 tsp of cream or yogurt drizzled over, a few drops of chilli oil and some chilli flakes
The cauliflower after simmering:

fullsizeoutput_320d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_320a.jpeg

Aargh.... I literally just threw away the greens from a giant head of cauliflower yesterday! I will get another soon enough so I can give it a try.

It looks beautiful, but how is the taste? I imagine there’s a bitterness to greens (which can be quite interesting).

Aargh.... I literally just threw away the greens from a giant head of cauliflower yesterday! I will get another soon enough so I can give it a try.

It looks beautiful, but how is the taste? I imagine there’s a bitterness to greens (which can be quite interesting).

I didn't find it bitter really - or I didn't notice it if it was. I like the way it looks so green as normally cauliflower soup is white-ish.

Back
Top Bottom