Mac and cheese with a twist

I usually use a variety of cheeses and add ham, bacon bits and bits of tomatoes. I love making homemade mac and cheese. Once my kids ate the real mac and cheese they won't eat Kraft Dinner anymore. I like the idea of a beefy mac and cheese, it would be a good hearty supper. I've been thinking of trying to make a pizza mac and cheese and put pepperoni, green peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms. Oh the combinations you can do.

I make my mac and cheese with chili. It adds some spice to this classic dish and I love the loads of ground meat and beans to really make you full. It's also quite balanced if you had tomatoes and other vegetables so now you have carbohydrates, proteins and greens in your meal. Quite ideal for lunch and the volume of mac and cheese is good for sharing.

We have had mac and cheese with bacon and brocoli, it is a good change to the classic mac and cheese.

I always try to add some vegetables to this dish, I usually add broccoli. The other day I found a recipe that used pumpkin puree (that you can make yourself) in the mac and cheese, I will try this next time. I also like to experiment with different cheeses, I love blue cheese and this gives a different taste to this dish.

We never really speak of mac and cheese in my country. We always speak of a macaroni pie so I suppose that's our twist. I've know of people adding hot dogs or maybe ham, but in my case I like MY classic macaroni pie with my own twist/take.

What is your twist/take? :) Curious!

Back
Top Bottom