Recipe Macaroni and Cheese My Way

CraigC

Guru
Local time
10:42 AM
We were sceptical about this recipe when we saw it made. We almost passed it by. Glad we didn't as it has become a favorite. I don't know if everyone has access to tasso, but if you have a smoker or gas grill, it is easy to make. I think a close substitution would be hot capicola or really spicy Spanish chorizo.

Macaroni and Cheese My Way Recipe courtesy Jan Birnbaum
Ingredients
18 pieces extra-large shell pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup, 1/4" diced tasso ham
5 large shallots, minced or you can use red onion
1 clove garlic, mined
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white wine
2 cups cream
1 cup grated fontina
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
18 medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups gently packed spinach
Kosher salt and ground white pepper
Hot pepper sauce, to taste (recommended: Tabasco)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
Method
1) Preheat broiler.
2) Bring a large post of water to a rolling boil, add pasta shells and cook al dente, according to package instructions.
3) Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the olive oil and tasso, cook until just crisp,
4) Add shallots and garlic. Cook and stir over moderate heat just until shallots are translucent.
5) Add the flour, cook stirring constantly to blend and toast the flour, about 5 minutes.
6) Add the white wine, reduce until almost dry.
7) Add the cream, bring to a simmer until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 5 to 10 minutes.
8) Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses, shrimp and spinach. Gently stir until cheese is melted, spinach is wilted and shrimp is beginning to turn pink.
9) Season with salt and white pepper, to taste.
10) Season with hot sauce, to taste.
11) Drain the pasta, making sure to shake all of the water off and out of the shells.
12) In a large ovenproof baking dish, place drained shells.
13) Add the cheese and shrimp mixture and gently fold into the pasta.
14) Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and chopped parsley.
15) Place under the broiler until the breadcrumbs are toasted about 2 to 3 minutes.

Last edited:
@morning glory

http://picasaweb.google.com/nolacuisine/NolaCuisine/photo#5222344581307279602

Tasso recipe.

The author refers to butt roast. A misnomer. What we call butt roast is actually a pork shoulder roast.

Available on line. Richard's and Savoy's are my faves.

We usually smoke our own. I use Tasso for flavor - in gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice, beans cooked with ham hocks and tasso. I cut it into very small pieces 1/4" to 1/2". It is for flavor - not an additional meat.

We were sceptical about this recipe when we saw it made. We almost passed it by. Glad we didn't as it has become a favorite. I don't know if everyone has access to tasso, but if you have a smoker or gas grill, it is easy to make. I think a close substitution would be hot capicola or really spicy Spanish chorizo.

Macaroni and Cheese My Way Recipe courtesy Jan Birnbaum
Ingredients
18 pieces extra-large shell pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup, 1/4" diced tasso ham
5 large shallots, minced or you can use red onion
1 clove garlic, mined
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white wine
2 cups cream
1 cup grated fontina
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
18 medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups gently packed spinach
Kosher salt and ground white pepper
Hot pepper sauce, to taste (recommended: Tabasco)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
Method
1) Preheat broiler.
2) Bring a large post of water to a rolling boil, add pasta shells and cook al dente, according to package instructions.
3) Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the olive oil and tasso, cook until just crisp,
4) Add shallots and garlic. Cook and stir over moderate heat just until shallots are translucent.
5) Add the flour, cook stirring constantly to blend and toast the flour, about 5 minutes.
6) Add the white wine, reduce until almost dry.
7) Add the cream, bring to a simmer until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, about 5 to 10 minutes.
8) Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses, shrimp and spinach. Gently stir until cheese is melted, spinach is wilted and shrimp is beginning to turn pink.
9) Season with salt and white pepper, to taste.
10) Season with hot sauce, to taste.
11) Drain the pasta, making sure to shake all of the water off and out of the shells.
12) In a large ovenproof baking dish, place drained shells.
13) Add the cheese and shrimp mixture and gently fold into the pasta.
14) Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and chopped parsley.
15) Place under the broiler until the breadcrumbs are toasted about 2 to 3 minutes.

Craig, are you sure you don't know my husband? lol Thanks so much, can't wait to show it to him.

Tip: I have seen this done once in many, many years. Our go to M & C puts sliced tomatoes on top and then covers them with the breadcrumbs and bake.

Mac n cheese is really a murican thing, IMO, I would never try this recipe, just too many steps and ingredients. However I would eat it if someone cooked it for me. I make a macaroni dessert, prolly my fave dessert. 5 ingredients.
Not knocking it Craig, just not my cup of tea. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom