1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
14oz/400g canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup canned puréed tomatoes
2 TBsp chopped fresh oregano
Small handful of basil leaves, shredded, plus extra sprigs for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, bring back to a boil, and cook for 8-10 minutes, or according to package directions, until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain well.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, until golden.

Add the chickpeas and puréed tomatoes to the pan and stir until heated through.

Stir the pasta into the pan, along with the oregano and shredded basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve, garnished with basil sprigs.

Recipe courtesy of "Frame>By>Frame Italian"

That sounds really nice :hungry: ....it reminds me a bit of the flavours of an Egyptian dish called Koshari.
I don't know why I've never thought about putting chickpeas and pasta together.....I've often used chickpeas in a curry instead (or alongside) meat, so why not with pasta?
Think I might put this on the menu next week - thanks!

🤔 oh, maybe it’s just me, but I’ve never heard about this dish in Italy or in Tuscany as they say.. I’m a bit puzzled because Orecchiette are typical of Puglia and not of Tuscany...
Saranak maybe you have an idea?
I think you're right and the Waitrose recipe has got it wrong..... this recipe says that its a Neapolitan dish. Hopefuly Saranak can tell us :okay:

I think you're right and the Waitrose recipe has got it wrong..... this recipe says that its a Neapolitan dish. Hopefuly Saranak can tell us :okay:

Ah! What a mix they made in Waitrose 😅

Laganelle pasta it’s a kind of pasta very used also in Puglia..
Saranak surely will know the neapolitan recipe 🙂

Back
Top Bottom