Recipe Mahi-Mahi with Sweet Potato, Avocado, and More, in a Soft White Corn Tortilla

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
12:21 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Yes, I know. This recipe missed the recent challenge... but the sweet potato insisted to be cooked and eaten!

friday-served-.jpg

friday-1.jpg

Mahi-mahi (Coryphaena hippurus), aka “common dolphinfish” or “dorado”, is not remotely related to the mammal dolphin. They typically hang out in the Gulf of Mexico, near Hawaii, and in the Indian Ocean, which makes them well-travelled tropical and subtropical oceanic fish. The name mahi-mahi derives from the Hawaiian language.

The garlic and the yellow cherry tomatoes came from my own garden.

The coriander/cilantro chutney is a product of the Indian foods concern, Swad, and contains cilantro/coriander, serrano pepper, coconut, soybean oil, vinegar, cumin, ginger, sugar, garlic, citric acid, and a couple of emulsifiers. I’m not a fan of the soybean oil, but it is good to know that it is there.

friday-3.jpg

Forward into the recipe!

Mahi-Mahi with Sweet Potato, Avocado, and More, in a Soft White Corn Tortilla​

INGREDIENTS:
Note that for some of these, ie the sweet potato, you might not use all of it in filling the tortilla wraps. I am assuming 3 tortillas per adult serving.
  • 1 small sweet potato, any bad parts removed.
  • 1/2 whole garlic head. (Mine was small from my garden, so I used the whole, along with the softer parts of its scape, optional)
  • 1-2 ounces / 30-60 grams of diced red or Vidalia onion.
  • 0.2 pounds (approximately 3.5 ounces or 90-100 grams) mahi-mahi (another fish can always be substituted).
  • Around 1.5 teaspoons reduced balsamic vinegar
  • Fresh ground pepper to taste.
  • About 2 or so teaspoons cooking fat. (Mine was bacon, but a good oil such as grapeseed or avocado will be great.)
  • About 2 ounces / 60 grams Fontina cheese – shredding is preferred, but very thin slices work as well. Or, sub with any other cheese that might melt.
  • 1/2 of an avocado.
  • Juice from 1/2 lime
  • 3-4 cherry tomatoes, halved.
  • 1 mini cucumber, ends chopped off and then cut into matchsticks. You will still have extra.
  • 3-4 teaspoons cilantro / coriander leaf chutney. Or use a savory chutney of your choice or making, with a bit of a mild or hotter kick to it.
  • 3 small gluten-free soft corn tortilla shells. (This brand is 10 ounces/ 283 grams for 12 shells)
METHOD:
Roast the garlic head in the oven at 375 for about half an hour. When it is done, put the head on a plate and push the “meat” out from the skins with a fork or spoon or tableware knife held on a non-sharp edge. You can do the same with the soft part of the scape, if using. Set aside.
Steam or boil the sweet potato until soft but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Test with the tines of a fork. Remove skin, and slice into lengths. Set aside, but keep warm.

Meanwhile, while the above cooks, cut everything else up.

In the skillet, add your oil or fat, and turn heat to medium. Cook the onions until soft and just beginning to brown. Remove to a paper towel to drain, then lay down the mahi-mahi to cook. Grind fresh pepper atop, and drizzle with about half of a teaspoon of balsamic reduction. Depending on both thickness and personal preference, cook for 3-6 minutes per side, adding some additional ground pepper to the newly exposed side.

Remove, and reduce heat to medium low. Add the tortillas – in a large skillet you can probably do two at a time. You want them to warm up but not to turn crispy (which would make them harder to work with). Flip each one after about 1 minute or so, depending on the heat given off by your skillet. Remove, and now it is time to add the ingredients:

Start loading the tortillas (one at a time) with a strip of the fish, a strip or two of the sweet potato, and about a third of the onion mixture. Dollop in a bit of the garlic paste.

At this point I prefer to add some of the cheese. Then atop that, I will add the other veggies, and then top with a bit of the cilantro chutney, all following the same line as you started with. Fold.

Repeat the process two more times until you are done. Serve yourself… or if you are doing this for multiple adults, they might want to create their own. This dish is best for informal eating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom