Making a pot roast chicken

MrMajeika

Local time
11:01 PM
I have a whole chicken and thinking instead of roasting it in the oven I will do like a pot roast in my le creuset dish (Dutch oven I think you call it in the US). Is this a nice way to cook it. The alternative is spatchcock with a nice sauce. Some recipes for pot roast say to brown the chicken first in the pan and others say to turn it up for the last 20 mins and remove the lid to crisp up the skin. That's prob easier than browning but which method is better? And do I add stock?

I've never done it in a le creuset, and never browned my chicken before going into the oven, however, the basic options of getting crisp browned skin are similar whether you use a pot or foil lined tray: remove lid and crank up the heat in the last 30 minutes. Butter on or just under the skin also does wonders for improving the browning and flavoring of the skin. That's how I do mine: Recipe - Fowler's Roast Chicken

Oh, and remember to tuck in those wing tips, otherwise they're the first things to start burning.

In your Le Creuset Dutch Oven, you'll want to brown the chicken first, for sure. Then cover the bottom of the DO with your aromatics, put the chicken on top, and add liquid for a braise.

Here is a Coq Au Vin Blanc I did recently. The chicken is in pieces, but the method is pretty much the same.

Recipe - Coq au Vin Blanc

CD

Back
Top Bottom