Making your own horseradish from the root

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:57 AM
Does anyone know how to make horseradish from the root? The grocery store I am using to buy my groceries for curbside pickup doesn't seem to have the refrigerated kind that I like, they only have the prepared horseradish and sauces in the shelf-stable grocery aisle. They do sell the roots, however. I would love a recipe if anyone knows how to do this.

he grocery store I am using to buy my groceries for curbside pickup doesn't seem to have the refrigerated kind that I like,

I think I need to know what this refrigerated kind is and how it differs from prepared horseradish & sauces.

I think I need to know what this refrigerated kind is and how it differs from prepared horseradish & sauces.

Does anyone know how to make horseradish from the root? The grocery store I am using to buy my groceries for curbside pickup doesn't seem to have the refrigerated kind that I like, they only have the prepared horseradish and sauces in the shelf-stable grocery aisle. They do sell the roots, however. I would love a recipe if anyone knows how to do this.

From the horse's mouth, har, har! When they talk about a well ventilated room, take heed, especially if you are doing it manually on a box grater. It can be extremely pungent depending on how long it's been since it was taken out of the ground. We use it to make homemade Worcestershire sauce and bought the vegetable grating attachment for the Kitchen Aid after the first time when Craig did it by hand. His eyes were streaming.

I'd look up your favorite brand and see if they add anything like garlic. Some do.

Kind of like when you cut onions, eh? I might wear my mask and eye goggles, LOL! I like this one:

1589746237842.png

Ingredients: horseradish root, distilled vinegar, salt.

This brand is local to my area and is made by the Amish. It has no preservatives and has to be refrigerated. There are a few other brands that will do as well, but for some reason the grocery store I have been using doesn't have it categorized properly and the only thing that pops up when I try to find it are the shelf-stable varieties, which are not nearly as tasty and don't have the heat, or they are more like sauces with a mayonnaise blend. That's okay for some things but if you have the pure it's just so much more versatile. And with all this free time on my hands, why not just break out the food processor and give it a whirl (or a pulse, LOL)? I just need to figure out how much of each ingredient to use.

Way, way, way worse than onions, especially if it's fresh.

We buy the refrigerated stuff too. I looked at it before replying and discovered they add garlic. I'd add a little water and vinegar to the FP or blender, plus a good pinch of salt (for 1 root) then pulse until you get the texture you want, then jar it (and do use glass, Ball makes small jars of various sizes and they aren't real expensive). Taste it, though it will probably mellow at least a bit, though the vinegar should help retain the punch, let it sit for a few days, then try it again and adjust if needed.

Last edited:
Worse than very hot peppers? I gag when I core large, very hot jalapenos.

I am buying a root. I will find the goggles and wear my mask.

His eyes were literally streaming, but remember he was doing it by hand on a box grater. But, each root will have a different level depending on genetics and how old it is. It's luck of the draw. Get firm roots, don't bother if they are withered looking.

I edited previous post as to how I would do it.

His eyes were literally streaming, but remember he was doing it by hand on a box grater. But, each root will have a different level depending on genetics and how old it is. It's luck of the draw. Get firm roots, don't bother if they are withered looking.

I edited previous post as to how I would do it.
That's the problem with ordering online. It's a reputable grocer and they are large and always busy. I am keeping fingers crossed the roots will be fresh. If not, I can call them and they will adjust the charge to my credit card.

Way, way, way worse than onions, especially if it's fresh.

We buy the refrigerated stuff too. I looked at it before replying and discovered they add garlic. I'd add a little water and vinegar to the FP or blender, plus a good pinch of salt (for 1 root) then pulse until you get the texture you want, then jar it (and do use glass, Ball makes small jars of various sizes and they aren't real expensive). Taste it, though it will probably mellow at least a bit, though the vinegar should help retain the punch, let it sit for a few days, then try it again and adjust if needed.
I have tons of Ball jars and some off-brand jars of varying sizes, as well as Pyrex and glass containers. I hate plastic.

If you use the search button you will see I made my own from roots growing in my garden. Mine is frozen in the freezer in round tubes for cutting off. I didn't have any eye problems with it. That may be my high tolerance to onions etc. I peel around 40 to 60 kgs a year. When pickling onions are in season.

Russ

Round tubes? Is that in the other thread? I don't want to make you repeat yourself.

That's very helpful information, thank you. No steaks around here with a round bit of butter on top, unfortunately. The steak doesn't get butter until I put a pat upon it. :)

That's very helpful information, thank you. No steaks around here with a round bit of butter on top, unfortunately. The steak doesn't get butter until I put a pat upon it. :)
You know, like when you make a compound butter (like an herbed butter).

Back
Top Bottom