Making your own horseradish from the root

That's very helpful information, thank you. No steaks around here with a round bit of butter on top, unfortunately. The steak doesn't get butter until I put a pat upon it. :)
What tasty said, we might get a round of garlic butter or herbed butter on top a steak. I make my own garlic sauce, I prefer that on a steak. Whereas my daughter prefers a knob of garlic butter.

Russ

Yes, when I make it and put it on myself. I was just stating that the butcher doesn't do it for me.

I think mainly it's going to be about execution, such as how to peel it, do I need to chop it before putting it in the processor (I will skin myself if I try to grate it otherwise), and of course how much of this and that will I need. I am sure I can google it when the time comes.

I think mainly it's going to be about execution, such as how to peel it, do I need to chop it before putting it in the processor (I will skin myself if I try to grate it otherwise), and of course how much of this and that will I need. I am sure I can google it when the time comes.

I just used my thumb nail, my hands pretty hard from life of working. Chop then whizz it up, I think I used a hand blender??

Russ

If you use the search button you will see I made my own from roots growing in my garden. Mine is frozen in the freezer in round tubes for cutting off. I didn't have any eye problems with it. That may be my high tolerance to onions etc. I peel around 40 to 60 kgs a year. When pickling onions are in season.

Russ

Only thread that I can find which comes up under your name rascal is one where you ask how to make the sauce: Horseradish Sauce

In the UK, horseradish sauce is traditionally made using grated horseradish, vinegar, sugar and double cream. In the US it seems to be more often mayo, not cream. From what you say, you are looking to preserve horseradish which doesn't contain either. This essentially means using only vinegar, sugar & salt and possibly adding garlic (or spices) if you wish. The Amish one doesn't contain sugar so you could leave that out.

There is a method for making the horseradish sauce in a blender. Peel the horseradish root and cut into small cubes. Put a few cubes in the blender with the other ingredients. Start blending & gradually add more cubes. Blend until you reach the desired consistency.

Edit: Just found a recipe which uses this method and doesn't contain sugar, cream or mayo.

Homemade Preserved Horseradish Sauce - Fermenting for Foodies

Last edited:
In the UK, horseradish sauce is traditionally made using grated horseradish, vinegar, sugar and double cream. In the US it seems to be more often mayo, not cream. From what you say, you are looking to preserve horseradish which doesn't contain either. This essentially means using only vinegar, sugar & salt and possibly adding garlic (or spices) if you wish. The Amish one doesn't contain sugar so you could leave that out.

There is a method for making the horseradish sauce in a blender. Peel the horseradish root and cut into small cubes. Put a few cubes in the blender with the other ingredients. Start blending & gradually add more cubes. Blend until you reach the desired consistency.

Edit: Just found a recipe which uses this method and doesn't contain sugar, cream or mayo.

Homemade Preserved Horseradish Sauce - Fermenting for Foodies

I think the poster got the recipe and method. Even I got confused. Lol.

Russ

Oh yes, my root looks like a penis without the jewels. Interesting. I am sure that the young girl who filled my grocery order was curious!

Oh yes, my root looks like a penis without the jewels. Interesting. I am sure that the young girl who filled my grocery order was curious!
You should have just winked and said, "Self-isolation...what can I say?" - and when you get that wide-eyed stare of realization, finish with, "I mean, who'd ever thought I'd be making my own horseradish!" :wink:

Yes, peel and chop it into manageable chunks before putting in the food processor.
Just remember when you take the lid off the processor to not have your face over the top of it (you may need to have a window open too).....the fumes are likely to be rather strong!

This is the method I use to preserve it:
Whizz to a paste in the food processor...add a splash of water if its looking too dry
Let it sit for a few minutes to let the flavour develop and then add a tablespoon or so of white vinegar to preserve it
I then freeze it in small jars and when I want to use it, I simply defrost and add the horseradish mixture to cream, mayonnaise, butter, or just use it on it's own.

Well I finally got around to making it. The root has been in my refrigerator for several weeks now, but it still is very firm and fresh looking (it was in cryovac). I did the basic preparation with chopped up root pulsed in the food processor with a little water, then added the vinegar and salt. I must say that is the hottest and tastiest horseradish I have ever had! I am going to make some cocktail sauce for our large 16-20 prawns for an appetizer and then my husband can use some for his Bleu cheese horseradish crust he likes to put on his filet. When I bought my kitchen canisters, they gave me two tiny little canisters that I never knew what to do with and have been in my pantry empty for a number of years. Now I know what to do with the larger of the two, it's being used to store prepared horseradish in my refrigerator!

Well I finally got around to making it. The root has been in my refrigerator for several weeks now, but it still is very firm and fresh looking (it was in cryovac). I did the basic preparation with chopped up root pulsed in the food processor with a little water, then added the vinegar and salt. I must say that is the hottest and tastiest horseradish I have ever had! I am going to make some cocktail sauce for our large 16-20 prawns for an appetizer and then my husband can use some for his Bleu cheese horseradish crust he likes to put on his filet. When I bought my kitchen canisters, they gave me two tiny little canisters that I never knew what to do with and have been in my pantry empty for a number of years. Now I know what to do with the larger of the two, it's being used to store prepared horseradish in my refrigerator!

View attachment 41600

Looks amazing.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom