Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday/Carnival/Pancake day

Well they aren't, as far as I've eaten them. My ex MIL made exactly the same batter. Maybe it's different because her roots were Scottish?

Anyway I guess we can only compare recipes to be sure?

I use a ratio of 500 ml of milk to 300 g of flour, and 2 medium eggs.

Ratio: 300ml milk, 100g plain flour, 2 large eggs. I think that is fairly standard having looked at a few BBC recipes. Your ratio has considerably more flour to liquid, hence the thicker result. Mine look more like crepes. Maybe it is a Scottish thing (although traditional 'Scotch pancakes' are much thicker). I'm sure they are delicious.

Pancakes from a past Shrove Tuesday:

Ratio: 300ml milk, 100g plain flour, 2 large eggs. I think that is fairly standard having looked at a few BBC recipes. Your ratio has considerably more flour to liquid, hence the thicker result. Mine look more like crepes. Maybe it is a Scottish thing (although traditional 'Scotch pancakes' are much thicker). I'm sure they are delicious.

Pancakes from a past Shrove Tuesday:

View attachment 81184
I guess ex mil must've combined the two heritages. I agree that this is more of a crepe recipe.

But if this is the standard according to you/the BBC, I am unsure why British people think their pancakes are not crepes? Confusing. I only know the thicker kind to be the norm here and in the UK as far as I've eaten at people's homes.

I'm sure your pancakes are delicious too. I am resting the case because I think this is all very confusing.

I guess ex mil must've combined the two heritages. I consider what you make crepes though..
me too...in my mind for pancake must be use yeast, for crepe no.

also in your country is prepared savory crepes? I love them more than the sweet ones!

also in your country is prepared savory crepes? I love them more than the sweet ones!
Yes, in my country both savory and sweet pancakes are popular.

The most popular ones are cheese and bacon pancakes, and apple pancakes

I won't go on about this anymore, but I will add they are not as thin and delicate as crêpes. I think Yorky makes pancakes similar to the ones I make. There is no particular right or wrong here.
The recipe for crêpe is the same, it's the technique that makes the difference. A crêpe pan is what makes the difference

Anyway, I will concede that ' the right way' is a difficult thing with traditional foods eaten in different countries in the world if they are similar. This kind of food debate is as old as time :hug:

My crepes are probably closer to British pancakes, because I overcompensate with the amount of batter in the pan.

Occasionally I've made something Creole or Cajun for Mardi Gras. But I have no specific traditions for it. I don't really go out to party that night anyway - not even in my younger days.

No plans for this year. I could try making another Creole dish, but that would essentially be just for me, and I don't currently have the inspiration.

Pancakes for the date are not a tradition around here. If anything, it would be cuisine from New Orleans.

Here in the US neither pancakes nor crepes seem to contain yeast. Crepes are just a lot thinner, and a bit more finicky to make

I do prefer savory crepes over sweet ones, too!

There is a nice tradition in several cities here, the closest Samobor fašnik. The city my boyfriend lives in. But I have never personally been to one, mostly street parades and food and drinks efore or after. Krapfen are sold all over , all bakeries, all supermarkets...

Kids of younger age dress up for school or kindergarten activities, sometimes they ring the door bells , but that has become so annoying and has decreased significantly in the last years.

No wild parties for me, a few years back, we dressed up in costumes, I was a witch, she was a princess I think, or a clown, I honestly do not remember, and we went to a carnival concert in a concert hall, it was all very calm and elegant, which is not the usual way, but that is the only way we were ready for.:happy:

There is no food tradition that I would do for carnival.

There are traditions in Istria with giant bells around the waist and sheep costumes, making a lot of noise, and burning the Fašnik prince (paper one), that I have read about but never whitnessed, so it is a bit distant...you shrug and go on with your day or week. Kind of.

There are traditions in Istria with giant bells around the waist and sheep costumes, making a lot of noise, and burning the Fašnik prince (paper one), that I have read about but never whitnessed

That sounds wild! I rather like these (often pagan in origin) rituals.

Back
Top Bottom