Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday/Carnival/Pancake day

Yep, and both the Dutch and the British think they're the only ones eating them that way :laugh: Thicker than crêpes, thinner than American pancakes. I found out about that whilst living in Yorkshire.View attachment 81109
This is a pile of my own homemade ones.
That looks like some of my pancakes. I don't like traditional American pancakes, mine are thinner like yours.

Nothing celebrated here but I'll raise a glass of rum.

Russ

For Fat Tuesday, mix up a Hurricane with that rum. It is a classic New Orleans cocktail.

• 2 ounces light rum *
  • 2 ounces dark rum *
  • 1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1 ounce orange juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon grenadine
  • Garnish: orange half-wheel
  • Garnish: preserved cherry

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 8.59.42 PM.jpg

* You don't have to use both light and dark rum. Of the two, I'd go with dark rum if you only use one.

CD

For Fat Tuesday, mix up a Hurricane with that rum. It is a classic New Orleans cocktail.

• 2 ounces light rum *
  • 2 ounces dark rum *
  • 1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1 ounce orange juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon grenadine
  • Garnish: orange half-wheel
  • Garnish: preserved cherry

View attachment 81257

* You don't have to use both light and dark rum. Of the two, I'd go with dark rum if you only use one.

CD

I'm coruba dark rum.
I will make this next year, we planted last year mandarin and lime trees.
So I'm getting there lol

Russ

Here in Sydney Mardi Gras is a huge fabulous parade to celebrate the struggle and later acceptance of the LGBTQIA+ community.

It’s amazing. I used to work in 5 star hotels around town in my early 20’s and had a lot of fun with friends, dancing until dawn.

Now it’s a week or more long festival culminating in the parade.

For the rest of the country it’s not generally a blip on the radar unless watched on tv.

Here in Sydney Mardi Gras is a huge fabulous parade to celebrate the struggle and later acceptance of the LGBTQIA+ community.

It’s amazing. I used to work in 5 star hotels around town in my early 20’s and had a lot of fun with friends, dancing until dawn.

Now it’s a week or more long festival culminating in the parade.

For the rest of the country it’s not generally a blip on the radar unless watched on tv.

Every few months, a new letter is added, I know what LGBTQ is, although I don't know what the difference between LG and Q is. I don't know what LGBTQIA+ is. I'm not being critical... I really can't be critical if I don't know what it is.

In Louisiana, there is no cause associated with Mardi Gras, other than "Let the good times roll." 🥳

CD

Every few months, a new letter is added, I know what LGBTQ is, although I don't know what the difference between LG and Q is. I don't know what LGBTQIA+ is. I'm not being critical... I really can't be critical if I don't know what it is.

In Louisiana, there is no cause associated with Mardi Gras, other than "Let the good times roll." 🥳

CD
It's : Lesbian, Gay, Bi , Trans , Queer, Intersex, Asexual and the + is for others than those to feel included.

It's : Lesbian, Gay, Bi , Trans , Queer, Intersex, Asexual and the + is for others than those to feel included.

ah, since I am a man who likes women, I guess I fall into the "+" category. Cool. Still not sure what the difference is between L/G and Q, and have no idea what intersex is. I'm officially old. :laugh:

CD

We've been talking about getting a sack of crawfish from Restaurant Depot and doing a boil. Only thing is the leftover crawfish have to be dealt with, even if it's just twisting off the tails and bagging up to freeze. Not something i really want to do after pigging out. Yes, we could get a smaller amount from a seafood place and not have leftovers, but 6 or 7 pounds would cost as much or nearly as much as the 30 or so pound sack at RD and that would just make my frugal part scream.

Craig makes sour cream pancakes as a treat sometimes. They consist of sour cream obviously, Bisquick, sugar, eggs and a bit of salt. They are about 4 to 5 inches around and just slightly thicker than a crepe, very tender. I like them as is but he will use syrup as well.

We've been talking about getting a sack of crawfish from Restaurant Depot and doing a boil. Only thing is the leftover crawfish have to be dealt with, even if it's just twisting off the tails and bagging up to freeze. Not something i really want to do after pigging out. Yes, we could get a smaller amount from a seafood place and not have leftovers, but 6 or 7 pounds would cost as much or nearly as much as the 30 or so pound sack at RD and that would just make my frugal part scream.

Craig makes sour cream pancakes as a treat sometimes. They consist of sour cream obviously, Bisquick, sugar, eggs and a bit of salt. They are about 4 to 5 inches around and just slightly thicker than a crepe, very tender. I like them as is but he will use syrup as well.

I haven't done a crawfish boil in about ten years. As you say, it's not practical for a small number of people -- you need a crowd.

CD

I haven't done a crawfish boil in about ten years. As you say, it's not practical for a small number of people -- you need a crowd.

CD
The people I know who love crawfish can eat 3-4 pounds each!

Youngest daughter is leaving for Brasil tomorrow with her fiancé. I wish I was going.

Back
Top Bottom