Mash spud

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:24 PM
Plain old mashed potatoes, my mum used to boil the guts out of potatoes and add milk and mash, I've come a long way from hers. I don't know if you go as far as putting it through a sieve? I just boil spuds until tender,drain and put back on ring to get the last of the water out. Then I add about 2 to 4 ounces of butter and the same of cheddar cheese. Lots of white pepper then mash. Then I add some full cream to give it the final touch. It's so smooth and creamy. My kids commented how good they are last night. My wife hates me adding the butter and cream, although she eats my mash. I try to mash it when she's not about. As a kid I remember mum adding finely chopped onion to her spuds, I've never tried that here.
How do you do your spuds.?

Russ

My favorite way is just butter, cream, salt and pepper. Not only do I not like them put through a ricer, I like them to be mostly mashed, with some bits of unmashed left in for texture, and I usually do two peeled and two unpeeled to make them a little more earthy/rustic.

I make mine different ways for different dishes. I go rustic sometimes with skins on, and a coarse mash -- especially with chicken fried steak.

If I want creamy mashed potatoes, I use a potato ricer, then whip them to a fine texture with some heavy cream.

Either way, I generally use butter, garlic and black pepper to season.

My first choice is usually rustic style.

CD

Mmmmm, mashed potato. I boil them up, heat the water off, add a shed-load of butter, milk & salt. If I've got it in the fridge, I'll add sour cream sometimes. If I'm feeling a bit fancy I'll heat the milk and add a few garlic gloves to infuse before mashing them through

if I'm doing it just for me I'll just use up whatever potatoes I have, skins & all.
If I'm cooking for others I'll select the appropriate potatoes, and sieve them through a ricer and use cream instead of milk.

I chop the spud into cubes, about 30 mm, sometimes peeled, sometimes not. Boil in salted water for around 15 minutes then drain and leave for a while. Add a little milk, butter, salt and black pepper and mash, sometimes with a little chopped onion and/or garlic, occasionally with parsley or coriander leaf.

[And very occasionally with egg - duchess style].

Last edited:
Different ways for different dishes. We're having smashed potatoes this week. Craig wanted them.

I used to put tons of butter and some milk or cream on mash but these days I use very little. I've grown to like the taste of the potatoes without the fat content. One thing I love is a dollop of harrissa on mashed potato and some plain yoghurt - a tad eccentric, I know.

Then there is Masala Mash which means adding Indian spices of your choice and possibly ginger & garlic. Wonderful!

Last edited:
I prefer my mashed potatoes moist and chunky. I prefer Yukons. Skins remain on, especially with Yukons. I'll boil them, drain, add butter and milk (or cream), and mash. Seasonings always include salt an pepper - white pepper sometimes for guests.

I've sometimes added in freshly roasted chopped onion, or maybe a sweet potato. Seasonings may include various Italian herbs, or ras al hanout, etc.

Once, another variant, where some of the butter was replaced with an oil containing a substance now legal in my state - resulting in what one could truly call "smashed" potatoes.

I prefer my mashed potatoes moist and chunky. I prefer Yukons. Skins remain on, especially with Yukons. I'll boil them, drain, add butter and milk (or cream), and mash. Seasonings always include salt an pepper - white pepper sometimes for guests.

I've sometimes added in freshly roasted chopped onion, or maybe a sweet potato. Seasonings may include various Italian herbs, or ras al hanout, etc.

Once, another variant, where some of the butter was replaced with an oil containing a substance now legal in my state - resulting in what one could truly call "smashed" potatoes.

Hmmm, adding a sweet potato into a white potato mash is an interesting idea.

I prefer my canabis oil baked into brownies, cookies, or mixed into chocolate truffles. It sure makes a flight from Europe to the US in economy class tolerable.

CD

Back
Top Bottom