Mashed Potato ?

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
9:06 AM
Why is it many of the television chefs [and professional ones] don't seem to know what mashed potato is ? Sorry boys and girls it is not some pulverised mush mixed with cream and anything else you fancy until it reaches the consistency of wet porridge [that may be creamed potato but it is NOT mashed] but it is simply boiled potato mashed with a potato masher + a little seasoning.
After all mashed potato with sausages = magic. Creamed slop with sausages = yuk.

I make the mashed potato here when we have steak. My mashed potato, as you said, is simply boiled potato that is just right in texture, not very soft. After taking off the rind or skin, I mash the potatoes using fork. When the potato is not cooked it would be difficult to mash. And while mashing, butter is added little by little so it will be properly mixed. And to make a good presentation, I use ice cream scooper in serving the mash potato on the plates. Just like in restaurants, my husband would say.

We do not eat mashed potatoes often but when I do make them they are just cooded potatoes mashed with a fork with butter and seasoning added. I do see people whipping the potatoes adding cream and other seasonings. They taste good but not something I would want to eat often.

I make the mashed potato here when we have steak. My mashed potato, as you said, is simply boiled potato that is just right in texture, not very soft. After taking off the rind or skin, I mash the potatoes using fork. When the potato is not cooked it would be difficult to mash. And while mashing, butter is added little by little so it will be properly mixed. And to make a good presentation, I use ice cream scooper in serving the mash potato on the plates. Just like in restaurants, my husband would say.
Absolutely ! I do like the idea of the ice cream scoop though.

My kids love mashed potatoes but I'm not a big fan of having to do the mashing so usually they are some chunks of potatoes to be found. I make it very simply with warmed cream/milk, butter, salt and pepper. Once in a while I get fancy and add grated cheddar cheese, bacon bits and green onions. I find if you over mash potatoes they get gluey and sticky. Yuck. If I have left over mashed potatoes I'll make them into a patty and fry them until it has a nice crispy outside to the patties. Delicious.

@purplepen88 I use my hand mixer to mix up our mashed potatoes. Garlic is a yummy addition to mashed potatoes; along with plenty of salt and butter. We also love fried patties, but usually eat up all the mashed potatoes!

I confess to being just a little bit addicted to mashed potato. Sunday lunch mash is usually just mashed or put through a ricer, then butter and cream added. Using a stick blender gives a more gooey but unctious mix. Adding an egg makes it even better. Crushed garlic poached in butter, mmm a must with roast lamb. Colcannon with greens and spring onions, melted cheese on top...

I confess to being just a little bit addicted to mashed potato. Sunday lunch mash is usually just mashed or put through a ricer, then butter and cream added. Using a stick blender gives a more gooey but unctious mix. Adding an egg makes it even better. Crushed garlic poached in butter, mmm a must with roast lamb. Colcannon with greens and spring onions, melted cheese on top...
I'm not keen in the stick blender approach. It can turn to a sort of glue! But a ricer or even just a fork works well if you have the right floury potatoes. I love mash. Colcannon... yes!!!

Mashed potato and meatloaf with creamed corn is a tradition for my dad's side of the family. We always serve the potatoes with a scoop and then use the back of it to make a hollow in the top of the potatoes. Gravy goes inside that as well as on top of the meatloaf. My grandmother chastises anyone who doesn't do it this way. However, I do agree with the creamed potatoes on most cooking programs. I love my potatoes to be mashed with some sour cream, a bit of butter. depending on the meal, garlic or cheese. No milk or it gets too runny.

I have been tempted to buy a potato ricer often, but do not know anyone who actually uses one and have sooooo many gadgets already. @Chef00 do you only use it for potatoes? I suppose you could use it for cauliflower 'potatoes' too? Any other interesting uses?

True mash to me is made from jacket potatoes, pomme au four, but I do steam or boil the potatoes and push through a drum sieve or a strong metal sieve and finish it with boiled milk and butter , with nutmeg or white pepper, depending on its use

I definitely don't like mashed potatoes that are more like a sloppy soup than something with an enjoyable texture. I totally agree - a boiled potato mashed a little with some seasoning is perfection - it doesn't need to go any further than that!

I have been working in restaurants in Serbia and outside and we had mashed potato every other day. I really don't know what do you mean when you say that professional cooks do not know what is it. It is taught in school even. One of the basic meals and first ones that you have to learn in high school. Maybe they do not think it is fancy enough for their shows or restaurants and they play dumb about it but be sure that they know. I make mine with potatoes, of course, milk and butter. Sometimes instead of milk I go with half-half but whatever you put it is fine. It has to be milky and even better a bit creamy and without butter it is pointless if you ask me. Sausage, mushrooms, steak or whatever you want...Cheese maybe. It's all good with mashed potato.

We have only one species of potato here in Nakhorn Nowhere; it's called a potato. Cube and boil in salted water for 12 minutes or so, then mash with a little milk and butter. Add a little seasoning but nowt else.

A Yorkshire spud masher:

masher.jpg

Back
Top Bottom