Recipe Matar Pulao (Rice with Peas)

swalia

Veteran
Local time
2:41 AM
Here's an easy recipe. Matar pulao can be eaten with curd and it's light on stomach.

Recipe courtsey: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/84038/matar-pulao-rice-with-peas/
peas-pulav.jpg

Ingredients

30 m 6 servings313 cals
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 whole cloves
  • 3 black cardamom seeds
  • 6 whole black peppercorns
  • 2 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
  • 2 cups uncooked basmati rice, rinsed and drained
  • 4 cups water
  • salt to taste
Directions

• Prep

5 m
  • Cook

25 m
  • Ready In

30 m
  1. Heat the oil in a deep heavy skillet over low heat. Add the cloves, cardamom seeds, peppercorns and cinnamon sticks. Cook for a few minutes to bring out the aroma of the spices. Stir the garlic powder and 2 tablespoons of water together to make a paste; mix into the pan with the spices.
  2. Add the green peas to the pan, cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the remaining 4 cups of water and rice to the pan. Season with a little salt. Bring to a boil, then cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. Taste, and adjust the salt before serving.

This is an extremely simple dish! I love it. I don't have frozen peas by itself but I will definitely add my frozen peas and carrots. I would prefer more veggies anyway. Thanks for this. Also a little question. Would it be too much if I add less of the spices but blend them up with a grinder and add them as a paste with olive oil? I already have pre blended spices from another dish.

I love this dish, did not know it had a name, just something I fix for myself because I like the combo the next time I fix it I will add the spices, I usually do not have this combo of spices when I make the dish.

I love this dish, did not know it had a name, just something I fix for myself because I like the combo the next time I fix it I will add the spices, I usually do not have this combo of spices when I make the dish.

It is a rather simple dish that you sort of throw together as a one pot meal. I have done this many times too without even knowing that this was the name as well. I many times add beans instead of peas too.

yay! Finally an Indian dish that does not require 20 ingredients. It looks very good. I made a weight watchers apple carrot soup over the weekend that was supposed to be an Indian recipe, and I found it quite delicious. It was like a fruity vegetable curry. I loved the complexity of the flavors. I guess I could raid my spice cabinet again to make this one!

This is an extremely simple dish! I love it. I don't have frozen peas by itself but I will definitely add my frozen peas and carrots. I would prefer more veggies anyway. Thanks for this. Also a little question. Would it be too much if I add less of the spices but blend them up with a grinder and add them as a paste with olive oil? I already have pre blended spices from another dish.

We can also add carrots, beans, cauliflower, potatoes etc. to this dish along with the peas ...then it becomes 'vegetable pulao' instead of 'pea or matar pulao'.
You can add spices according to your taste and can be added as a paste too.

Back
Top Bottom