Meat and seafood butchery.

Saranak

Local time
1:39 AM
Ciao a tutti,
So I buy large pieces meats such as pork, lamb an occasion beef, I also try buy whole fishes an seafoods such as Calamari, Pesce sepia, Polpi etc. These I clean an prep for fridge or freezer, I have certain way with half lamb or pork to make in joint an different cut. I do not mince meats for Ragu for instances I use knife to make course.
When I make Lemon Garlic chicken I spatchcock chicken my self. If I make Agnello leg stuffed I take bone out also. I am wondering if other members do same?
I find some thing settling in my kitchen when I do this, I know I make my way.

Sarana x

Not to that extent, but I do some of that. I'll spatchcock a chicken, I'll cut a whole one up, and I'll debone thighs myself. I'll also debone pork roasts, as shoulder roasts here always have the bone in.

I won't, however, buy a quarter of a beef or a side of a hog and cut it down. That requires a good bit of work, and work that I'm familiar with, as we raised, killed, and butchered our own beef, pork, and chickens when I was growing up.

Even though I don't do that now, I'm thankful for the experience, because it means I usually know where on an animal a particular piece of meat comes from, and it also means I can competently discuss what I'm looking for with our local butcher when I'm ordering something.

Not to that extent, but I do some of that. I'll spatchcock a chicken, I'll cut a whole one up, and I'll debone thighs myself. I'll also debone pork roasts, as shoulder roasts here always have the bone in.

I won't, however, buy a quarter of a beef or a side of a hog and cut it down. That requires a good bit of work, and work that I'm familiar with, as we raised, killed, and butchered our own beef, pork, and chickens when I was growing up.

Even though I don't do that now, I'm thankful for the experience, because it means I usually know where on an animal a particular piece of meat comes from, and it also means I can competently discuss what I'm looking for with our local butcher when I'm ordering something.
Si Bello this my points know what look at, I see may thing in butcher window an it look wrong an edge ragged!!

Sarana x

Si Bello this my points know what look at, I see may thing in butcher window an it look wrong an edge ragged!!

Sarana x
I think that's important too, because here anyway, there's not much standardization with regards to cuts of meat. Everybody knows what a chuck roast is, probably, but from one butcher to the next, you'll something like a blade steak labeled blade steak, or flatiron steak, or any number of other names. It's good to be able to look at a cut of meat and say, "That's off the shoulder," or "that's a belly cut."

Chicken- we usually eat and buy skin on bone in thighs. I only buy whole chickens for roasting or cooking whole in G's Big Easy. For chicken and sausage gumbo I buy a whole hen and G cuts it for me.
Fish- Small catfish G will clean and skin tail on for whole fries. Larger catfish are filleted. Red fish he usually cleans them on the half shell. That is fine for broiling or grilling. A complete filet for sauce Piquant or a piccata sauce. Sea trout, Sac a Lait (white perch) and other fish are filleted.
Game meat we butcher ourselves.
We will buy a whole rib eye, beef loin or pork loin and slice and package.
Everything else is pre cut. I do repackage before putting in the freezer .

I've had a lot of experience cleaning whole fish as we've shot so many. I'm pretty good at prepping meats and poultry for "Q".
Do you seek out fish that's easier to debone, or to you just go with it based on the fish you catch? I know there's a lot of variation between different types of fish (which is why I'm happy to debone a mackerel, but less motivated to take on a salmon).

Do you seek out fish that's easier to debone, or to you just go with it based on the fish you catch? I know there's a lot of variation between different types of fish (which is why I'm happy to debone a mackerel, but less motivated to take on a salmon).

The 3 species we hunt are pretty much the same as bone structure goes.

Back
Top Bottom