Meat Free BBQ

We have a grilled vegetable meal every now and then, usually 1 or more red/yellow/orange bell peppers, thick sliced zucchini and yellow squash, thick onion slices, big criminis or portabellos, with some kind of sauce, a lemon juice, garlic, EVOO, or a salsa verde type sauce.

Not a whole lot of work goes into it, just slicing the vegetables and making the sauce.

I grill alot of different veg and keep them simple.
Olive oil, S&P, garlic - usually that's it, but I wouldn't no say to some of those sauces.
I find that grilling makes alot of vegetables sweeter... I saw in one of the ATK/Cook's Country magazines grilled carrot, now that sounded excellent, haven't tried it yet...

saw in one of the ATK/Cook's Country magazines grilled carrot, now that sounded excellent, haven't tried it yet...
Years ago, when my kids did BBQs every weekend, a girl turned up with some sliced beetroot and carrots. Olive oil, balsamic. s&p and into a double foil package, then on the grill. Amazing.

mental note - foil packets!
I think that's a trick we all picked up from Jamie Oliver, when he first started with Naked Chef. His method went something like " Chop them up - never mind the skin, whack them into a bit of foil, then add a glug of olive oil - don't forget the s&p - then scrunch up the foil, bung 'em on the grill, easy peasy!"

We do that here with just about any vegetable. Some people (not me) call them hobo packs.
We were talking about hobo packs:

IMG_8413.jpeg
IMG_8414.jpeg

I still don’t know why they’re called hobo packs, I’ve made up lots of reasons and now it’s time to ask, why?
Most likely because whomever coined the term assumed that’s how hobos would cook their supper, in sort of a makeshift way over an outdoor fire (substituting in a modern outdoor grill).

Back
Top Bottom