Meat Glazes

The caramelizing concept is a good one and as almost any vegetable or fruit contains sugars, they can be caramelized, onions for example. But a glaze need not be caramelized.

These posts bring to mind the function of basting. With Basting, the meat's own juices are either brushed on, squirted on or ladled on - or it can be any number of other things that we would call glazes or marinades.

What I particularly like about Morning Glory's Achiote Chicken is how it is crispered on the skin of the chicken, not wet or tacky. I think I have some new spices to add to my rack.

Beer? Certainly, a good Cabernet or Port can be used to coat a meat. Why not beer?

What I particularly like about Morning Glory's Achiote Chicken is how it is crispered on the skin of the chicken, not wet or tacky. I think I have some new spices to add to my rack.

This is the achiote paste I used (available in the US):

Morning Glory,

Thanks, but I think I would like to make my own version from raw ingredients.

You can do for sure. I usually make everything from scratch but this particular product is very good. I think it contains epazote leaves which are hard to find here. Not sure if you can get them easily where you are but they do add an exceptional taste.

I did manage to grow an epazote plant this year, though!

I am making meatloaf, potatoes and salad for dinner tonight. I sometimes add a glaze of brown sugar and ketchup. Nothing fancy but remembered this thread as I was preparing it. This will be my first try at making it in my air fryer.

I am making meatloaf, potatoes and salad for dinner tonight. I sometimes add a glaze of brown sugar and ketchup. Nothing fancy but remembered this thread as I was preparing it. This will be my first try at making it in my air fryer.
I looooove meatloaf!

Re: Smoker... I was binge watching "Beat Bobby Flay" last night and saw one of the chefs put smoke under plastic wrap to get that smoked flavor in his dish. Have any of you ever used that kitchen tool?

Back
Top Bottom