Meat Glazes

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:51 PM
Satisfy my curiosity and share your favorites meat glazes. For example, I might use honey on hams, reduced Apple Juice on Turkey.

Keep in mind that glazes are not marinades.

I'm struggling to think of any glazes I use. I finish most meats in butter with a crushed garlic clove and fresh thyme, very occasionally a little balsamic. My wife glazes hams with mustard and brown sugar, and they are awesome. Maybe I should experiment more with glazes.

I'm struggling to think of any glazes I use. I finish most meats in butter with a crushed garlic clove and fresh thyme, very occasionally a little balsamic. My wife glazes hams with mustard and brown sugar, and they are awesome. Maybe I should experiment more with glazes.

I don't think that a meat glaze must be sweet, using things like honey, maple syrup, pineapple, etc. Oil and spices might do. Butter and spice is another alternative. In other words, a glaze might be sweet or it might be spicy. It has to add some special zing to the outer surface of meats.

I rarely do glazes and know far less about them than I think would make me good at it. I am considering glazes and will have to jump in as a raw experimenter.

I've used maple syrup (the "real" kind as mentioned by caseydog) on salmon. I'm not a fan of overly sweet main dishes so I use less than the 1/4 cup listed.

Maple Salmon

Beyond that, the only other food I've glazed is ham. Maybe I should also venture out and try others. Looking forward to everyone's comments on this one.

Garlic Butter w. Lemon Juice? I was thinking not too sweet and something I like.

Normally, Garlic Butter is used for Garlic Bread. But why not use it for a Glaze? I would try this on Chicken and sprinkle on Basil and shreaded Asiago crumbs. Yes, I'll have to put this one to the test in the near future.

Garlic Butter w. Lemon Juice? I was thinking not too sweet and something I like.

Normally, Garlic Butter is used for Garlic Bread. But why not use it for a Glaze? I would try this on Chicken and sprinkle on Basil and shreaded Asiago crumbs. Yes, I'll have to put this one to the test in the near future.

Peanut Oil blended with Red Pepper and Sundried Tomato is another thought I am musing with for Fish, Lobster and Prawns, possibly Chicken and Pork too.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking a glaze in culinary terms is a shiny coating. The obvious way to achieve this is with sugar, maple syrup, honey in the glaze. I think its difficult to obtain a shiny finish without. But I may be wrong...

That was my first thought as well. I always thought it HAD to be something shiny hence the word.

Strictly speaking a glaze in culinary terms is a shiny coating. The obvious way to achieve this is with sugar, maple syrup, honey in the glaze. I think its difficult to obtain a shiny finish without. But I may be wrong...

I'll go with a non-strict definition of glaze as a flavor seal coating.

Note that glazes in baking are not always shiney. Powdered Sugar Glazes are common enough. In Baking, glazes tend to have a sweet definition. And that crosses over to meats, too. But I don't think we need to hold to a hard definition of sweetness.

My Achiote paste on chicken. Recipe is somewhere on the forum...

Yes, I think of a glaze as something that will caramelize with heat. You generally have some kind of sugars involved.

In American BBQ, you can use a BBQ sauce as a glaze by brushing it on the meat near the end of cooking. Many common BBQ sauces have a significant amount of brown sugar in them. As with any glaze with sugar, you just have to be careful not to burn the glaze.

CD

Back
Top Bottom