Metric system measurements to American measurements

Furlong, yes; chain, no.

Small amounts, like measuring spoon amounts, I just eyeball, and I'll do that up to about a quarter-cup.

I love hearing Jacques Pepin say, "Heat, oh...a tablespoon of budder in the pan..." and he throws in nearly a quarter-cup. :laugh:

Furlong, yes; chain, no.

Small amounts, like measuring spoon amounts, I just eyeball, and I'll do that up to about a quarter-cup.

I love hearing Jacques Pepin say, "Heat, oh...a tablespoon of budder in the pan..." and he throws in nearly a quarter-cup. :laugh:

Lol, I watch him now and again after your quoting him. I enjoy his accent. He would prolly enjoy my kiwi accent.

Russ

Imperial measurements are still used in racing terms.
Any muricans heard of furlong? Chain? These are distances.

Russ
Of course furlong, I was an avid equestrian. Furlongs are a measure in horse racing. Chains? No idea.

How about hands, you know that one? My favorite horse was 15 hands.

Furlong, yes; chain, no.

To a French chef, a tablespoon of butter is half a stick -- and then they add some more.

CD

Of course furlong, I was an avid equestrian. Furlongs are a measure in horse racing. Chains? No idea.

How about hands, you know that one? My favorite horse was 15 hands.
Found an old photo of me when I was about 16 years old. It's a bit faded...

Found an old photo of me when I was about 16 years old. It's a bit faded...View attachment 60966
Lovely pic!

I was on another forum, and there was a woman there who was very interesting in that she lived on her own on a farm (might ring a bell Mountain Cat), and she had a donkey that she rode to town.

She posted a cute pic of her riding the donkey, and both she and the donkey were looking back at the camera, meaning the focus of the pic was the donkey's rear.

So after giving everyone else the opportunity to say it, I finally commented, "Nice ass!"

I got suspended for 30 days. :laugh:

over time I have 'recorded' cups of things to grams. it's an incomplete science.....

if I'm writing a homespun recipe, I'll describe stuff like:
"1 cup chopped small diced onion / 130 grams"
the nifty part is, 130 grams of onion is 130 grams of onion - in sliced/chopped/diced/minces form....

for the most part, I'm talking stuff like "stew" - where more or less is not going to make a difference.
but for our weighing friends, it's a whole lot easier to plunk an onion on the scale than stock an "American cup measuring set"

I try to change cups to mL, and weights for ounces to grams. Some volumes don't convert to weights easily unless you actually measure item 1 in cups, and then weigh it, and write down the grams for that particular item. This is something I WANT to do, but I've been a bit out of it of late, so it hasn't happened.

I do have two analog weigh balances that tell me both ounces and grams (differing scales of exactitude). As my analog balances read metric and old-style side by side, I can just read what it says when I use them, unlike digital where you hit a button to convert. Er, presumably, as I have never owned a digital balance at home (and the ones at work were all entirely metric, because I worked in a research lab...)

Unfortunately my measuring cup that did both cups and metric milliliters seems to have vanished, so unless life is crazy or something, I want to remember to have both units of measurement in my recipes these days. I'd get a new one, but it seems I can only find them in plastic atm.

Back
Top Bottom