Metric system measurements to American measurements

Not to me. It's the old six of one, half dozen of the other. I can do either one. I'd just at that turkey and think, "Around six bucks."

I'll freely admit to not really paying attention to ads or prices, for that matter. I can guess the prices of most things just from buying them so often, but I usually don't shop on price.

It was beaten into me as a kid that everything we bought had to be cheap, cheap, cheap because we were so cash-poor and I swore I'd never be that miserly when I got my own money, if I didn't have to be. MrsT is exactly the opposite - she grew up in an affluent, comfortably well-off family, and she's so tight-fisted, she could (as her dad liked to say) "squeeze the sh!t out of a buffalo nickel."
I'd just look at that turkey and think the same way my sister did: it's .40 cents a pound, about 15 pound bird, "Around six bucks."

When I was doing curbside, I was really impressed with Kroger's online ordering. It did everything I wanted, showed me when coupons were available, whether I'd already clipped it or not, alternative products, good filtering and sorting...but I missed my shopping, so after a couple of minor missteps (over a dozen or more orders), I went back to doing my own shopping. I didn't need much prompting - I love grocery shopping. Love. It.
I. Miss. It. I am just not willing to risk. It. At least most of the time.

I wish you good health always.

I was reviewing a recipe today and the measurements were in "cups". I can never remember how many ml in a cup but when I looked it up I came across this.

1 Cubic Meter=
4166.6667​
US legal cup
1 Litre=
4.16667​
US legal cup
1 US Legal Tablespoon=
0.0625​
US legal cup
1 US Legal Teaspoon=
0.020833333​
US legal cup
1 US Gallon=
15.772549​
US legal cup
1 US Pint=
1.9715686​
US legal cup
1 US Cup=
0.98578432​
US legal cup
1 US Fluid Ounce=
0.12322304​
US legal cup
1 US Tablespoon=
0.06161152​
US legal cup
1 US Teaspoon=
0.020537173​
US legal cup
1 Imperial Gallon=
18.942​
US legal cup
1 Imperial Pint=
2.36776​
US legal cup
1 Imperial Cup=
1.18388​
US legal cup
1 Imperial Fluid Ounce=
0.118388​
US legal cup
1 Imperial Tablespoon=
0.0739924​
US legal cup
1 Imperial Teaspoon=
0.0246641​
US legal cup
1 US Cubic Foot=
117.987​
US legal cup
1 US Cubic Inch=
0.0682794​
US legal cup

I'm even more confused now! (I've not heard of "legal" cup before).

[Edit: I am hardly concerned though, most of my recipes are guess work anyway]

Last edited:
I am in Portugal and have started using American measures soon as I learned about their existence, I just find it a lot more practical. Back in the day I would often try to convert grams and mls into cups, BUT, in my family no one knew the cup was an actual measurement and we simply used common tea cups as measures, as long as you measure everything with the same cup you were fine. Now that I'm older and became the boss of my own kitchen I usually avoid using the kitchen scales, and my set of measure cups and spoons also mention grams and mls so I try to convert every recipe to American measures, now with the appropriate measures 😀

giggle.

I'm in USA - and I use weights for solids and liquids. it is _much_ more accurate/repeatable.

liquids? yes. I know all about teaspoons, table spoons, ounces, cups, pints, quarts, gallons, ml, liters....

plunk the bowl in the scale, add xxx grams of water/milk/honey/oil/(whatever)
I can repeat that tomorrow, exactly to the gram, or ten months from now, exactly to the gram.

We grew up with foot and inches ie imperial but somewhere along the line we switched to metric around 70? From memory, I'm totally happy using either as I can switch in my head. A cups a cup to me, one nearest,lol. Young ones have no idea how long a chain is? Or what a yard is,lol.

Russ

We grew up with foot and inches ie imperial but somewhere along the line we switched to metric around 70? From memory, I'm totally happy using either as I can switch in my head. A cups a cup to me, one nearest,lol. Young ones have no idea how long a chain is? Or what a yard is,lol.

Russ

I used to be able to throw a chain!

giggle.

I'm in USA - and I use weights for solids and liquids. it is _much_ more accurate/repeatable.

liquids? yes. I know all about teaspoons, table spoons, ounces, cups, pints, quarts, gallons, ml, liters....

plunk the bowl in the scale, add xxx grams of water/milk/honey/oil/(whatever)
I can repeat that tomorrow, exactly to the gram, or ten months from now, exactly to the gram.
I think that's practical for bakers, mostly. I generally cook veggies and meats so I know it sounds weird, but I like to measure in volume (if I measure anything at all). I don't follow recipes very often. But if I have to write down a recipe of something I am creating (like for a challenge), I tend to measure celery, carrots, onions, etc. in cups as opposed to weight. It just works better for me, even if it drives whoever is reading my recipe a bit batty, :laugh:

I think that's practical for bakers, mostly. I generally cook veggies and meats so I know it sounds weird, but I like to measure in volume (if I measure anything at all). I don't follow recipes very often. But if I have to write down a recipe of something I am creating (like for a challenge), I tend to measure celery, carrots, onions, etc. in cups as opposed to weight. It just works better for me, even if it drives whoever is reading my recipe a bit batty, :laugh:

Hey, I use the palm of my hand to measure seasonings and spices. I have teaspoons and tablespoons down. That wouldn't be a good idea for baking, but for cooking, it saves me a lot of clean up. In my kitchen, and "handful" is a unit of measure. :laugh:

CD

Hey, I use the palm of my hand to measure seasonings and spices. I have teaspoons and tablespoons down. That wouldn't be a good idea for baking, but for cooking, it saves me a lot of clean up. In my kitchen, and "handful" is a unit of measure. :laugh:

CD
Hmmm I'm gunna try this, can't see why it wouldn't work, I'm about minimalist as well. :)

Russ

For some reason I use imperial teaspoons and tablespoons for "dry" stuff, milliltres for "wet" stuff and grams for weight. However, today I picked up a whole New Zealand beef fillet which is 1 cubit long.

Back
Top Bottom