• 1 large onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
  • 1 bunch of basil leaves
  • one 15 ounce can no-salt-added diced fire-roasted tomatoes
Directions
TOTAL TIME45 min

1. Put the fish in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Add the lime juice and toss; set aside. Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and season with salt. Bring to a boil; add the corn and cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all but 1/3 cup of the chopped onion to the skillet along with the thyme and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, chile powder and half of the basil and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Add the potatoes, corn and reserved cooking water.
  3. Add the fish and lime marinade to the skillet and simmer, spooning the sauce over the fish, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the stew among bowls and top with the remaining onion and basil. Serve with lime wedges.
  4. For more about me please check out my profile xD

Attachments

• use it.jpg
    use it.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 310
Can you sear the fish to give them some more color and flavor? Can I use paprika instead of the ancho chillie? We usually use ginger for fish to remove the fishy taste and smell do you also do that?

I actually haven't seen Tilapia sold here in Japan - or maybe it just goes by a different name, I'll have to check on that! But this does sound good. I really enjoy Mexican inspired dishes and they're a hit with my friends here too! I'll also have to check and see what I could potentially substitute the tilapia for if they don't have it right now.

This is a soup my family makes for Easter dinner

4 SERVINGS

Ingredients
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 6 ounces of talapia
  • 3 limes
  • 1/2 pound of potatoes
  • 2 ears of corn split into 4
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 large onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
  • 1 bunch of basil leaves
  • one 15 ounce can no-salt-added diced fire-roasted tomatoes
Directions
TOTAL TIME45 min

1. Put the fish in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Add the lime juice and toss; set aside. Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water and season with salt. Bring to a boil; add the corn and cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all but 1/3 cup of the chopped onion to the skillet along with the thyme and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, chile powder and half of the basil and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Add the potatoes, corn and reserved cooking water.
  3. Add the fish and lime marinade to the skillet and simmer, spooning the sauce over the fish, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the stew among bowls and top with the remaining onion and basil. Serve with lime wedges.
  4. For more about me please check out my profile xD
Sounds like a good recipe and I love the ancho chilli. But I think you must have posted the wrong picture. When I looked at it I thought it didn't look like the recipe as it looked like seafood (calamares) in it! Turns out its from another recipe for Mexican Seafood Soup which is really quite different! http://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/mexican-seafood-soup/49c68e03-626d-47b6-9f34-9269d70d02f9.

I think your recipe is from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/mexican-fish-stew-recipe.html - or at any rate it is a very similar recipe. Pictured here:

FNM_040112-WN-Dinners-021_s4x3.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

I think you could substitute another white fish @cupcakechef. Cod, hake, monkfish... whatever you can get in Japan. Talapia has a very mild flavour.

Sounds like a good recipe and I love the ancho chilli. But I think you must have posted the wrong picture. When I looked at it I thought it didn't look like the recipe as it looked like seafood (calamares) in it! Turns out its from another recipe for Mexican Seafood Soup which is really quite different! http://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/mexican-seafood-soup/49c68e03-626d-47b6-9f34-9269d70d02f9.

I think your recipe is from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/mexican-fish-stew-recipe.html - or at any rate it is a very similar recipe. Pictured here:

View attachment 2477

I think you could substitute another white fish @cupcakechef. Cod, hake, monkfish... whatever you can get in Japan. Talapia has a very mild flavour.
ya I didn't have a picture handy so i just used w.e was on google.

I love tilapia although it's now being compared to bacon, but truth is I love them both. I don't eat a lot of bacon, but when Tilapia is around I could eat it for weeks none stop. I have not been doing a lot of grocery shopping myself but it seems my husband found out it's not as healthy as he thought and he has not bought any in months...Guess I will have to get on his case or go out and get it myself. I love any variation of the fish and it's always quick and easy.

I love the ingredients in this recipe! Would you be able to add multiple kinds of fish? I do love adding hard and softer kinds of fish. Mixes up the texture and leaves you with a greater taste. Would this ruin the mexican flavors in this dish? Also about the corn, I love pressuring my corn I'm thinking about pressuring it with the pepper. What do you think about that?

I love the ingredients in this recipe! Would you be able to add multiple kinds of fish? I do love adding hard and softer kinds of fish. Mixes up the texture and leaves you with a greater taste. Would this ruin the mexican flavors in this dish? Also about the corn, I love pressuring my corn I'm thinking about pressuring it with the pepper. What do you think about that?
Do you mean pressure cooking? And what pepper do you mean - I can't see any pepper (other that ground pepper for seasoning) mentioned in the recipe. Sorry, @theizzman , I'm answering in your stead but I think you could certainly use a mix of fish. Talapia is very mild flavoured so we aren't talking here of a recipe which is dependent on a particular fish flavour. I think its more to do with the other ingredients - the limes, chilli and thyme which gives this recipe its character.

Do you mean pressure cooking? And what pepper do you mean - I can't see any pepper (other that ground pepper for seasoning) mentioned in the recipe. Sorry, @theizzman , I'm answering in your stead but I think you could certainly use a mix of fish. Talapia is very mild flavoured so we aren't talking here of a recipe which is dependent on a particular fish flavour. I think its more to do with the other ingredients - the limes, chilli and thyme which gives this recipe its character.

Oh woops, I meant the ancho chilli powder. I love pressure cooking my corn to make it tender. I was wondering if i could pressure cook the corn with the chili powder then add it to the soup afterwards! Sorry for the misunderstanding. We have some freshwater fishes here that I could by, carp? I wonder if that would work well. It's mild enough I suppose.

Oh woops, I meant the ancho chilli powder. I love pressure cooking my corn to make it tender. I was wondering if i could pressure cook the corn with the chili powder then add it to the soup afterwards! Sorry for the misunderstanding. We have some freshwater fishes here that I could by, carp? I wonder if that would work well. It's mild enough I suppose.
Oh I see! Yes I'm sure pressure cooking corn with the ancho would work - and so would your freshwater fish. Have a go!

Back
Top Bottom