Milk Chat

Bought some buttermilk today to make some Buttermilk fried chicken tomorrow. Only about a pint or so, since I don't use it often. :whistling:

I've never done a buttermilk soak for fried chicken. I keep telling myself that I need to try it, but never get around to it, for some reason.

CD

I've never done a buttermilk soak for fried chicken. I keep telling myself that I need to try it, but never get around to it, for some reason.

CD

I'm quite sure that you've probably heard the saying that buttermilk makes things taste good. Like biscuits & pancakes? Well, the same thing goes for fried chicken. It seeps into the meat to make it moist, tender & flavorful. Along with the spices that you'd use. And BTW, biscuits go with fried chicken. just ask KFC. :whistling: :whistling::whistling:

Have you looked at organic milk? It costs more, but the shelf life in the fridge is double, even triple that of regular milk. I bough a half gallon last week that is good until March 13. It also tastes better... bonus.

CD
That’s interesting - What makes it last longer? I actually do exactly what you just said, I essentially buy less but better quality. The organic milk I buy (Strauss) does have a fridge life for me of about 3-4weeks.

I love milk in glass bottles so I tend to get a half gallons that way. Glass bottles make everything taste better IMO. I wonder if the glass bottles contribute to fridge life as well seeing that its a more sterile surface and it allows the milk to get to a lower temperature.

That’s interesting - What makes it last longer?
The internet says organic milk goes through a different preservation process than regular milk, ultra high temp (UHT) processing as opposed to the standard high temp (HT) pasteurization.

The internet says organic milk goes through a different preservation process than regular milk, ultra high temp (UHT) processing as opposed to the standard high temp (HT) pasteurization.
Thanks! I’ll do a little research too in a few, it sounds kind of interesting. Another plus for organic milk IMO.

Edit: Just gave the internet a quick glance. Pretty neat, I did not know this. Looks like I’ve found another rabbit hole to go down.

“The process that gives the milk a longer shelf life is called ultrahigh temperature (UHT) processing or treatment, in which milk is heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit (138 degrees Celsius) for two to four seconds, killing any bacteria in it.

Compare that to pasteurization, the standard preservation process. There are two types of pasteurization: "low temperature, long time," in which milk is heated to 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) for at least 30 minutes*, or the more common "high temperature, short time," in which milk is heated to roughly 160 degrees F (71 degrees C) for at least 15 seconds.

The different temperatures hint at why UHT-treated milk lasts longer: Pasteurization doesn’t kill all bacteria in the milk, just enough so that you don't get a disease with your milk mustache. UHT, on the other hand, kills everything.”

Thanks! I’ll do a little research too in a few, it sounds kind of interesting. Another plus for organic milk IMO.

Edit: Just gave the internet a quick glance. Pretty neat, I did not know this. Looks like I’ve found another rabbit hole to go down.

“The process that gives the milk a longer shelf life is called ultrahigh temperature (UHT) processing or treatment, in which milk is heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit (138 degrees Celsius) for two to four seconds, killing any bacteria in it.

Compare that to pasteurization, the standard preservation process. There are two types of pasteurization: "low temperature, long time," in which milk is heated to 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) for at least 30 minutes*, or the more common "high temperature, short time," in which milk is heated to roughly 160 degrees F (71 degrees C) for at least 15 seconds.

The different temperatures hint at why UHT-treated milk lasts longer: Pasteurization doesn’t kill all bacteria in the milk, just enough so that you don't get a disease with your milk mustache. UHT, on the other hand, kills everything.”
I think you read the same site I did. :laugh:

What I found interesting is why organic milk is treated differently. Had you asked me to guess, I would have said that there’s probably some government definition that says organic milk has to have no more than 0.00000003 cooties/liter, and the only way to achieve that is with UHT.

Apparently, at least according to that site, that’s not it. It’s because organic milk isn’t produced all over the place like regular milk is, so it has to be shipped farther, so it needs a longer shelf life.

Hey…organic milk is the IPA of milks! :laugh:

We've very rarely bought supermarket milk for a couple of years now - its amazing how much longer local milk lasts than its supermarket equivalent.....I guess because the supply chain is much shorter the milk itself is fresher.

We used to go over to a local dairy farm that sold raw milk from a vending machine on site - that milk tasted lovely, but of course it being raw meant you did have to be careful if you had visitors with health issues. But early last year the farmers managed buy a farm of their own so sadly (for us) they moved their herd to Wales and our supply of lovely local milk was no more. But then luckily just a few weeks later a new milk company started delivering to our area - their milk is all organic and unhomogenised. We have 1.5 litres of full cream milk delivered twice a week which is just about right for the two of us.

We've very rarely bought supermarket milk for a couple of years now - its amazing how much longer local milk lasts than its supermarket equivalent.....I guess because the supply chain is much shorter the milk itself is fresher.

We used to go over to a local dairy farm that sold raw milk from a vending machine on site - that milk tasted lovely, but of course it being raw meant you did have to be careful if you had visitors with health issues. But early last year the farmers managed buy a farm of their own so sadly (for us) they moved their herd to Wales and our supply of lovely local milk was no more. But then luckily just a few weeks later a new milk company started delivering to our area - their milk is all organic and unhomogenised. We have 1.5 litres of full cream milk delivered twice a week which is just about right for the two of us.

There are very restrictive laws on how raw milk can be sold, here. Where I live, it doesn't matter, because all the cattle here are raised for meat. The climate isn't right for dairy cattle.

CD

There are very restrictive laws on how raw milk can be sold, here. Where I live, it doesn't matter, because all the cattle here are raised for meat. The climate isn't right for dairy cattle.

CD
It the same here - raw milk isn't actually that easy to get hold of as not many dairies take the extra steps needed to meet the regulations. According to the Food Standards Agency, to sell raw milk it must be:
  • from animals that are healthy and free from brucellosis and tuberculosis
  • from a farm that complies with hygiene rules and is routinely inspected twice a year
  • labelled with the appropriate health warning
I know the dairy where we used to get our raw milk regularly tested their cows - a couple of years ago they did fail a TB test and had to pasteurise their milk in order to continue selling it direct to the public. They were only allowed to start selling raw milk again after the entire herd had passed two consecutive TB tests (there's a couple of months between each test).

Our new milk supplier isn't raw milk, but its unhomogenised, its local and its organic so its the next best thing.

We have a local farm that very quietly sells raw milk, and only to people they know (many, many legal troubles for selling what some people want to buy from them). I use it for cooking (I don't drink milk) and the leftovers are made into farmer's cheese or paneer. I'll never go back to the supermarket stuff.

Have you ever looked for "ultra-pasteurized" milk and half & half?
That's all I buy now.
I just bought a 1/2 gallon of half & half at Kroger's and the best by date is in MAY!!!
That is rather denatured. I'll do without, first.

I will not drink fat-free skim milk.1% is as low as I'll go. I HATE skim milk!! Some may drink it, but I won't! It tastes almost like water. Not that I don't like drinking water, but when I want water, I'll drink it.When I want milk, I'll drink 1% milk.:yuck:
2% is as low as I go - and I haven't drank any milk straight up since college, when too often the milk dispensers there had let the "product" go chunky-bad. Haven't wanted to see it in that format since. But will use 2% or 4.5% (whole) in cooking.

We go through 6 litres (1.5 gallons) every 2-3 days - I buy 3 x 2L bottles at a time. My boys drink virtually nothing else, then it's also used for tea/coffee, cereal, bit of cooking...
Wow. When I knew I was going to be retiring, and no longer going to be able to dump whole milk into my coffee (without buying so much that I'd be throwing more than half a carton out) I decided to learn to drink my coffee BLACK. Worked for me.
Now I only buy milk for specific recipes. Or a bit more in winter, for my oatmeal, which for me is a winter foo.

I'm quite sure that you've probably heard the saying that buttermilk makes things taste good. Like biscuits & pancakes? Well, the same thing goes for fried chicken. It seeps into the meat to make it moist, tender & flavorful. Along with the spices that you'd use. And BTW, biscuits go with fried chicken. just ask KFC. :whistling: :whistling::whistling:
Buttermilk! Top notch stuff! Again not purchased that often, but it does make excellent pancakes! I still have to marinate chicken in it.

The Internet is wrong. At least in certain places. ALL milk has to be labeled, at least here, as having gone through UHT processing. I can get organic milk that has not had that thing happen to them. Easily.

We have a local farm that very quietly sells raw milk, and only to people they know (many, many legal troubles for selling what some people want to buy from them). I use it for cooking (I don't drink milk) and the leftovers are made into farmer's cheese or paneer. I'll never go back to the supermarket stuff.
Sounds great to me!!! I wish I could try raw milk - the only options I ever had was to purchase a whole gallon - and if I didn't end up liking it, didn't want it to go down he sink.

Maybe I should someday... and just make the rest of it "cooked milk".

Back
Top Bottom