Missing members?

We had a couple bitchy guys, too. It didn't just hit one gender. Unfortunately one of those was also a manager.

Been there done that, lol. I had a pommy guy as a boss 30 years ago, he had no personality and was a tool. He asked me one day in a sales meeting what I thought of his style of leadership. I said I'll let you know when I see it. We never got on. I left just after that.

Russ

I was lucky with the few "corporate" jobs I worked. When I worked in the software industry, I answered directly to the CEO, so I didn't HAVE to deal with middle managers. I'm still in touch with that CEO some 25 years later.

My jobs in publishing (car magazines) were the same. I answered to the publisher. He had a habit of micro-managing, but he trusted my judgement, so all I had to do was give him the old "hairy-eyeball" look, and he left me alone. We are still friends, too.

Most of my adult life, I have been self-employed. Lots of "freedom," including freedom from a regular paycheck. No sick leave. No paid vacations. Instead of "managers," I have to deal with "customers." Some of them are GREAT! Some are... not so great. :headshake:

I don't really want to "retire." I just want to have enough money to tell the "not so great" customers that I am "too busy" to do their jobs. That, or send them estimates that are stupid high. :wink::whistling:

CD
Snap, started my own company in 91, I've never liked being told what to do., I too put up with rude customers as well. I got rid of them when I could afford to. Retired last year.

Russ

SatNavSaysStraightOn, when you say you watered the new chicken, did you mean with a watering can, or am I getting a bit confused....?
You're confused. It's the English language! It has peculiarities to say the least.
and whilst feeding and watering the new chicken

To match the tense of feeding, (act of giving food to), the phrase 'to give water to' becomes 'watering'. It is the same with the past tense, to feed becomes fed, to water becomes watered, and similarly 'to give food to' and 'to give water to' become 'fed' and 'watered'.

Just one of those colloquialisms, 'all fed and watered' just means everyone has had food and drink. So takes that into the present tense, whilst I was feeding and watering (or whilst I was giving food to and giving water to)...

Hope that helps. English isn't a great language to learn! Mind you it's not much better to teach either (something I'm qualified to do apparently!)

You're confused. It's the English language! It has peculiarities to say the least.

Its more to do with common useage, The word 'watering' is more often used in association with plants or lawns. Watering simply mean 'giving water to'. However, because we associate 'watering' with plants or lawns as spraying them with water or using a watering can, what often springs to mind when we see the word 'watering', is dousing something in water. It sprang into my mind too and I'm a native English speaker, just as Mewmew is!

Its more to do with common useage
And with the situation, perhaps. Growing up with farm animals, keeping them fed and watered was one of my earliest chores, and I was always being asked (or told) about watering the animals.

I knew exactly what SatNavSaysStraightOn meant, as it seems a perfectly common usage of the word ("Has the dog been watered yet?" - everyday question in our house, as no one likes filling the dog's water bowl), and I had to actually pause for a second and read it a few times to figure out where any confusion was coming from! :)

And with the situation, perhaps. Growing up with farm animals, keeping them fed and watered was one of my earliest chores, and I was always being asked (or told) about watering the animals.

Agreed - I knew what she meant too, despite the fact that dousing sprang into my mind. I was trying to point out that the word 'watering' is not ambiguous or confusing in itself. It doesn't have two meanings in English. Its just that a lot of people have come to associate it with pouring water over plants so that is the image that springs to their mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom