Mozzarella Potato Croquettes
- 500g approx 3 medium potatoes
- 3 tbsp -40 g butter
- 150g mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (grated)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Frying oil
- Bake potatoes for 1 hour at 180°C / 350°F and flip them over occasionally.
- Scoop out the flesh leaving the skin behind and place flesh in a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork or masher, mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Add the butter to the potato
- Grate the nutmeg, add together with salt and pepper.
- Grate the mozzarella and add to the mixture and mix well with a fork to distribute the mozzarella evenly.
- Separate the egg yolks, set the egg whites aside.
- Add the yolks to the mix and mix well.
- Transfer into a pipping bag or freezer bag with a hole and extrude into long strips.
- Alternatively you can roll them into ropes and cut to desired sizes.
- Place on a tray and cover & refrigerate for 15 minutes or until they are firm.
- Slice into smaller size batons.
- Dip and roll the croquettes into flour first, then egg whites and finally breadcrumbs.
- Heat up the oil to 170°C / 340°F and carefully transfer the croquettes into the frying pan.
- Fry until golden on the outside and gently turn the croquettes to avoid burning.
- Place on a paper towel and serve warm.