Recipe Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt

msmofet

🐰 🌹 Still trying to get it right.
Local time
12:23 AM
Ms. Mofet's Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt

This is a cold start method. Dairy MUST be Ultra Pasteurized for a cold start.
If using regular milk, you MUST use the boil method to sterilize milk first.

3/4 gallon Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half
OR
1/2 Gallon Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half
1 Quart Ultra Pasteurized Heavy Cream
3 TBSP. Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt or your favorite plain Greek yogurt (I use a 5 oz. container)

Combine above.
Stir well to remove any lumps.
Select Yogurt NORMAL Mode, set for 8 hours.
That's it you're done, walk away.
When done incubating strain for 12 – 24 hours in the fridge depending on how thick you want it (you can always stir some of the strained whey back in if yogurt is too thick).
Yogurt will be thick, creamy, and mild.

Greek yogurt can also be used in place of sour cream.

Strained whey can be used to replace the liquid in bread recipes (makes outstanding no-knead bread), baking recipes, biscuits, and pancakes/waffles (which produce very light and fluffy pancakes/waffles). Can also be used to make smoothies.

Straining (yogurt in a metal strainer lined with a flour sack tea towel, placed inside 6 quart container)

yogurt_straining_080817_IMG_2636.JPG

yogurt_straining_2_080817_IMG_2637.JPG

Don't throw that whey away

strained_whey_080917_IMG_2647.JPG

Nice and thick

strained_greek_yogurt_080917_IMG_2652.JPG

Defies gravity

yogurt_spoon_080917_IMG_2689.JPG

Can add sweetener of choice (honey, sugar, sugar substitute, etc.) or not, flavored extracts you like, strawberry compote, lime curd, lemon curd, etc. to yogurt.

Yogurt topped with homemade strawberry compote, lemon curd, and lime curd.

yogurt_081717_IMG_2731.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Lovely results and I agree re using whey. I sometimes make simple cheese and use the whey in bread.

I don't think we get ultra pasteurised milk in the uk. Why is this necessary?

Thank you MG.

“Ultra-high temperature processing (UHT), ultra-heat treatment, or ultra-pasteurization is a food processing technology that sterilizes liquid food by heating it above 140 °C (284 °F) – the temperature required to kill bacterial endospores – for 2 to 5 seconds.”

You don’t want to grow dangerous germs in your yogurt.

If anyone needs to do the boil first method (with regular milk), let me know and I will post the instructions.
If anyone wants the recipes for the homemade strawberry compote, lemon curd, and lime curd, I will post those also. Just ask.

Back
Top Bottom