Recipe Mushroom and Egg Casserole

Local time
8:30 PM
I find eggs to be very versatile and they go well with lots of ingredients. Mixing mushrooms into an egg recipe sounds good to me, so I have decided to enter this recipe in the Cooking Bites Challenge.

Ingredients:

• 5 slices bacon cooked crisp and chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
  • 1lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 8 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 2-1⁄2 cups monetary jack cheese or 2-1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese.

Method:

1. Saute onions and mushrooms in butter in skillet over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and pepper.
  3. Stir in cheese and the mushroom mixture and bacon.
  4. Pour into a greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish (12x7-1/2x2-inch).
  5. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 35-40 minutes or until puffed and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
  6. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
  7. Serve warm.

pic6SWaYA.jpg

I agree about eggs - this is like a baked filling for a quiche/flan. I have used a very similar filling for quiches in the past. I'd probably add something green to the mix (such as chopped parsley). I have to keep reminding myself that American use of the word 'casserole' is different from the UK. Here, a casserole is an oven baked stew. To us this would be a 'bake'.

It would be good served with a crisp salad on the side, I think.

Well, no matter what you call it, it looks great! We had an egg bake yesterday with lots of veggies, but this is a great idea for next time, minus the mushrooms on my side :) I really love these easy, simple and tasty egg dishes, I am also a big fan of quiche.

I am really liking the sounds of this and the awesome ingredients that are used. This will be on my must try list. It had everything you need in one dish for the perfect meal. I wouldn't just have this for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom