Mustard

• Do you like mustard? Yes
  • What types? Yellow, Dijon, Stone Ground, and Chinese. There are other variations that I find interesting, like a chipotle mustard I picked up recently, but I consider that to be a sub-category of stone ground mustard.
  • Do you make your own? Not yet, but I accept the challenge!
  • What do you eat it with? I really think that each has its own ideal use:
    • Yellow mustard = essential on hot dogs or with soft pretzels
    • Dijon = great for making vinaigrettes or salad dressings
    • Stone Ground = great on sandwiches
    • Chinese = essential on egg rolls
  • Do you use it in cooking? I probably use it in cooking more than I put it on sandwiches. I have used different kinds of mustard in barbecue sauce recipes, and they all provide an interesting character. Mustard is also used for sauces, like reuben sauce, and salad dressing...Dijon is a perfect mustard for making Caesar salad dressing.
NOTE: I have gone off Spicy Brown Mustard (it tends to overpower the things I put it on) and Honey Mustard (which is more of a sweet spread than it is a mustard, in my opinion).

Here's an interesting article about mustards, from the always-interesting Serious Eats:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05...dijon-brown-spicy-yellow-hot-whole-grain.html

Do you like mustard?

YES!!!

What types?

I like almost all kinds of mustards. If I had a least favorite it would be the sweet variety

Do you make your own?

Nope, but after being a member of this site for 6 months I feel like I could.

What do you eat it with?

Burgers, Fries, sausages, pot roast (horse radish mustard), potatoes, ect....

Do you use it in cooking?

Yes. Primarily BBQ sauces. I have used it in a few other dishes that I can't exactly think of right this second lol

I prefer mustard of most other condiments. I rarely use ketchup. I prefer a stone ground mustard or a spicy brown mustard.

Being a vegetarian, I don't employ mustard a great deal, but there is one thing I really like a nice hot mustard with. I find it goes beautifully in a sandwich containing mature Cheddar and onion. Leaving it to infuse for a little while makes it even better.

All of which reminds me of sitting in a restaurant in Bucharest and perusing the menu. One of the items on said menu was 'Bear in mustard sauce.' Naturally, this was not something of which we wished to partake and I would assume that the dish involved some part of the bear rather than the entire bear.

Its delicious. You should give it a try. I like "yellow" mustard. That isn't for cheese and crackers. A stone ground mustard, a brown mustard, or even Dijon. Something with a little bite to it.

I shall give it some thought. But it is likely to be English mustard.

Its delicious. You should give it a try. I like "yellow" mustard. That isn't for cheese and crackers. A stone ground mustard, a brown mustard, or even Dijon. Something with a little bite to it.

Not to mention soft pretzels.

Back
Top Bottom