kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
9:30 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
I was a huge Martha Stewart fan until well you know, anyway she had on one of her kitchen staff and he made this gorgeous Chicken Chili.
I decided to put my own twist on it and have been making this recipe and variations of it for many years.
I like to serve this with a scoop of steamed White Rice or a dollop of Sour Cream, some chopped raw Sweet White Onions, grated sharp Cheddar Cheese ... really the sky's the limit for topping on a great bowl of Chili.

My Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

3-4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 C. Sweet White Onions, rough chop
4 Garlic cloves (about 1 Tbsp.), minced
1 ½ lb. Boneless-Skinless Chicken Thighs, diced to bite size pieces
1 Tbsp. Cumin Seeds, toasted & ground
1 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
1/8 tsp. Chipotle Chile Powder
1 4 oz. Can diced Green Chiles or about 3 whole Chiles
1 15 oz. Can Petite Diced Tomatoes
1-2 C. Chicken Broth/Stock
1 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
1 ½ C. Corn Kernels
1 15 oz. Can Black Beans, drained & rinsed

Method:

Heat a large Dutch Oven over medium, add the Oil
Sauté the Onions until translucent
Add in the Garlic and stir until fragrant
Toss in the Chicken and cook until the exterior turns white, stirring occasionally
Sprinkle the Spices over the Chicken and cook for about a minute, stirring all the while
Stir in the Broth, Cilantro and Corn and bring to a boil
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover partially
Cook for about 40 minutes, until thickened
During the last 15 minutes of your cook time, add in the Black Beans and complete the cooking

*Cook’s Note: If you’d like a thicker consistency, bring the broth back up to a boil
Using 1-2 Tbsp. of Jiffy brand Corn Muffin Mix and a few tablespoons of water; create a slurry
Slowly pour this into the pot while stirring
Also, you can use Corn Tortillas that are chopped instead of the mix
Cook for about 5 minutes to desired thickness

**Other Add-Ins:
½ C. Sweet Red Peppers and sauté with the Onions
1 15 oz. Can of Cannellini Beans rather than Black Beans
¼ C. diced Poblano Pepper, sauté with the Onions

IMG_1330.JPG

This was a taste test bowl, the main event will be in a few days, once the batch has had time to meld in the ice box 😉

Last edited:
Cornbread mix is a good substitute for Masa Harina if you can't get it.

CD

Interesting the aversion to coriander. I´ve only ever seen that in inhabitants of the USA!!

It is a known genetic issue, not a matter of personal taste. We have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows us to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves.

It is actually most prominent in East Asians.

CD

It is a known genetic issue, not a matter of personal taste. We have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows us to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves.

It is actually most prominent in East Asians.
Yep, I´d heard of that; my experience up to now, however, has only been with Statesiders.
Interesting that it´s prevalent in East Asia!! Especially given the considerable use of coriander in Thai, Indonesian and Chinese cookery.

Yep, I´d heard of that; my experience up to now, however, has only been with Statesiders.
Interesting that it´s prevalent in East Asia!! Especially given the considerable use of coriander in Thai, Indonesian and Chinese cookery.

I think it is only the cilantro leaves that cause the problem. I don't think coriander seeds have the same effect.

CD

Back
Top Bottom